Options
Plain Edge Bust Half
Picked this one up a few weeks ago..
She is 32.6 to 32.7 mm so a bit larger since she didn't go through
the castaying (castaing) machine..



She is 32.6 to 32.7 mm so a bit larger since she didn't go through
the castaying (castaing) machine..



0
Comments
<< <i>What is a castaying machine? >>
I think he meant 'castaing' machine
Tom
<< <i>Are you sure it's not an electrotype? I'm no expert but it kinda looks like one. >>
Yeh, the seam on the edge did look a bit suspect
<< <i>
<< <i>What is a castaying machine? >>
I think he meant 'castaing' machine >>
Thanks, I learned something tonight.
Found this definition on the PCGS Website.
Castaing machine: Machine which imparted edge lettering to blanks before striking. It consisted of a bench fitted with parallel bars each containing half the edge lettering, set apart minutely less than blank diameter, spring-mounted, one fixed, the other set to move forward while remaining the same distance from the fixed bar, actuated by gears and long handle. Each blank was caused to go through this machine, ideally without slipping, though in practice slippage accidents were frequent, producing blundered inscriptions (overlapping). More rarely, a lettered blank would be run through a second time. The Castaing machine became obsolete with introduction of the close collar, q.v.
Looks completely genuine to me, and certainly not an electrotype. All characteristics of a "missing edge lettering Bust half dollar" are present on your coin. A very rare coin.
Congrats on the acquisition. Did you buy it as an error, or was this the best cherry pick of 2014?
Have you weighed it?
Great find habaraca.
How rare is a plain edge CBH???
Will PCGS grade her.....pics look positive.
They may have to create a new edgeview holder for your special coin.
<< <i>How rare is a plain edge CBH??? >>
Extremely rare. Very few are known, if I recall correctly.
I like the missing dentil over the M on the reverse.
<< <i>The line seen around the edge was called a belly line by Henry Hilgard; this was imparted when the blank was cut from the strip. The real deal. Congrats, Phil! Bringing it to FUN? >>
^ What he said. Good pickup!
The
Grade!
Plain edge CBH & belly line.
Very cool and congrats!
"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"
My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress
<< <i>Boy, did I learn something today.
Plain edge CBH & belly line.
Very cool and congrats! >>
+1
Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia
Findley Ridge Collection
About Findley Ridge
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
zap
102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
BHNC #198
As for rarity looks like 4 have been listed in Steve Herrman's AMBPR
1812 O-103
1817 O-103
1819 O-107a
1819 O-109a
Wish she was a Cherry Pick,,,,, alas, just a CHERRY coin.
I have been looking for one of these since 2008 when I first met Henry and he told me
about the "Belly Line" Sure wish I could share her with him.
Would non-reeded edge coins (cent, nickel, Sac dollars) have a belly line if they weren't struck in closed collars?
Or, has the technology behind punching blanks changed so the line is no longer created?
All that aside, cool coin & informative thread.
<< <i>Great find! Looks like the O.115, with that open dentil above the M that Lanlord noticed and recut O in 50. Thanks for sharing it.
zap >>
Example of Overton 115 Small Date, Small Letters on PCGS Website
PCGS Link
Awesome coin..... now you have to work on a date set of these....
coinzip.com
Tom
BHNC member # 184!
http://www.busthalfaddict.com
RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'
CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
<< <i>The most interesting aspect of this coin is that it doesn't have a broadstruck appearance as do all other plain edge half dollars, except for the former Logan 1819 O.107. Only the second normal appearing example and a much later date struck at the second mint, where happy accidents still happened! >>
Indeed, just the flattening of the denticles caused by no upsetting of the blank. Wonder if they forgot to anneal it as well?
Brad,
Good observation. The dentils on mine are a bit smushed looking, not a lot of separation out to the edge like the above example of the same
die marriage, but certainly not flattened or broadstruck
I looked up the Logan coins to see the difference.... Interesting for sure.
Logan's 1812 103 looks flattened and is 33.4 mm
Logan's 1819 107 looks more normal and is 32.6 mm like mine is. Normal as you know being 32.5
Looking forward to seeing you at FUN and sharing her.
I used to track my edges. Have a flip over double strike tucked away but haven't come across a plain edge. Hadn't known about the belly line either.
'cut and tear' edge' on a Type 1 Blank (no rim).
In theory, it should be just a tad wider in diameter
than a normal Type 2 Planchet (w/upset rim).
I hadn't heard Henry use that "belly line" term;
I've always heard it as 'cut & tear' marks from the
blank being punched out of the strip.
Fred
$10 Million dollars from Nigeria !
<< <i>I thought a 'shear mark' was the person getting
$10 Million dollars from Nigeria ! >>
funny
ad a great coin
BHNC #203
I have a couple of doubled edge letterings, but no blanks
BHNC #203