Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading Question

I read elsewhere on the forum that PCGS graders use 5x magnification . If I have a coin that has an old cleaning , but can't see it without 30x magnification , am I good to send it in ?

Comments

  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you will find that most professional coin graders use no magnification unless the coin requires a closer look. If your coin has been cleaned, it may not require 30x magnification for a professional grader to see it.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certainly no professional grader. But I'm fairly sharp at detecting any kind of hairlines from cleaning. I can use a 5x and at the right lighting, and angle see them better than larger magnification. This works best for me.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    It was already genuined in April of 2011 , but thought it may get through a second time.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will see it without any magnification.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whay you are looking at through a 30x loupe and what the graders are seeing without magnification might be two different things........
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the average coin is graded in 5-6 seconds, how much magnification do you think a grader is going to use?


    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magnification is not as important as LIGHTING most of the time IMO.

    And I've heard they at PCGS only use on problem coins or possible 70's.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,803 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Magnification is not as important as LIGHTING most of the time IMO. >>



    Yup. Rotate and tilt your coin under a bright halogen light and you'll frequently see a patch or pattern of microscopic hairlines from improper cleaning.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind LOL !
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Magnification is not as important as LIGHTING most of the time IMO.
    >>



    Agree with this.

    I have an MS-61 Walker that looks like an MS-65 with a casual glance, and even a 5x cheapo magnifier. But I have a 5x magnifier with a built-in LED light that I call my "hairline finder". Put that baby on the coin, and it's immediately obvious why it's a 61, and nobody would miss the hairlines!!
    Easily distracted Type Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file