Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wondering what it says at the bottom of this Andre the Giant

I like this image of him....pretty neat

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure the first portion means "Giant" or "The Giant". I would assume the second half is the name they called him. I dont believe they called him Andre unless they were using English.
    Im also assuming the 218 is his weight in which ever measurement was being used. It's surely not pounds. It may be grams but their equal unit of measurement has a different name such as "hyakume"
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking that 218 would be kilograms which would be 480 pounds which would be appropriate for him in 1969......
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    It says モンスターロシモフ "Monster Roussimoff" "218 senchi". Senchi is centimeters which is his height.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information Sumo!
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Sure, no problem.
  • Options
    22 years ago today Andre the Giant passed away.......
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll never forget the first time I saw him live... he was MASSIVE! Luckily, the WWF frequented Louisville A LOT back around 84-87... so I got to see them quite a bit as a kid. I remember my first live event I saw Big John Stud winning a battle royal by getting Hulk and Andre out as the last two. But Andre definitely got his revenge. Later that year they came back and he beat Big John Stud by himself... and then in '85, Andre & JYD tag teamed to beat Big John Stud & Ken Patera before Andre & Hillbilly Jim teamed up and beat Big John Stud & King Kong Bundy a few days after Christmas of '85. Great times! RIP Andre.