Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1826 CBH...OVERTON # ???? GRADE OPINIONS

so my 1st coin of 2015 is this beauty...it just called to me
grade guesses more then welcome
any idea of what overton # it is?
image
image
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


Comments

  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with XF40
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first attempt at using the Coinzip Guide here:

    http://coinzip.com/bustieguide/overton.php?d=1826

    Shows 4 options under the "3".

    Does the "L" in Liberty show hair such as here?
    http://coinzip.com/bustieguide/item.php?d=213

    If so, I'm going with: 1826 O-107 R3

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    "You Suck Award" - February, 2015

    Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭


    << <i>My first attempt at using the Coinzip Guide here:

    http://coinzip.com/bustieguide/overton.php?d=1826

    Shows 4 options under the "3".

    Does the "L" in Liberty show hair such as here?
    http://coinzip.com/bustieguide/item.php?d=213

    If so, I'm going with: 1826 O-107 R3 >>


    that's a sweet lil site there...image


    i was looking in the 1826 thread here
    was thinking it's an O-117
    no hair in "L" of liberty

    as to grade
    i know her top to breast should be separate...on this example i'm thinking that's strike weakness
    as the rest of this example is mid au to me

    i've made an xf45 and an au53...both of those displayed way more wear
    this image is seller's...surely luster is on the muted side
    darn near a full one of those eagle claw's on the reverse...a point i look at close


    i'd be shocked if this came back in a less then au50...my guess is an au55 here
    time will tell as off to see the wizards of grading oz she'll go
    thanks to my ebay bucks...she was only $225
    so yeah...less then au50 is an ouch image
    except
    this is the one i plan on keeping in a core collection as for overall looks
    i like this one...lots

    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a 117 (I'm really just guessing here until Brian shows up 8-) )

    http://maibockaddict.com/1826-o-117-r2-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

    Your 8 shows the recutting, and the die crack on the rev of the 107 too...
    http://maibockaddict.com/1826-o-107-r3-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    "You Suck Award" - February, 2015

    Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I don't think it's a 117 (I'm really just guessing here until Brian shows up 8-) )

    http://maibockaddict.com/1826-o-117-r2-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

    Your 8 shows the recutting, and the die crack on the rev of the 107 too...
    http://maibockaddict.com/1826-o-107-r3-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml >>



    yeah i got lost...but overall...those stars and other attributes look O-117 to me
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    triple post
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    repost
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's O-107. O-117 is a different set of reverse die cracks.

    image
    image

    The OP's coin looks like an XF-45 with a decent shot at 50.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sigh
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭
    1826 O-107 R3

    image

    image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    that hair in "L"...just doesn't appear to be present on this example...maybe it is...i'll check that real close when in hand
    image

    the reverse looks right though
    image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an O.107. I like it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I'll go with XF40 >>



    Glad you are not grading my CBH's. image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    how important is that front of her bust and blouse separation when it comes to grade

    that area was concerning in the grade consideration to me

    my thoughts are....that could be a strike issue
    when viewing the rest of this example
    to me it's an au example except that front of her bust

    not my series but love exploring these
    this one really caught my eye

    anyone care to chime in on tips in grading these busties

    my wag is an au55 except the front of her bust would net it down
    i wouldn't think less then au50
    as to me it's way too sexy for xf45
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough pics to go by for grading....could be 50 if the surfaces are alright and they got any of that good old luster present ? image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust halves are a grading challenge. Putting aside strike issues, from an elementary point of view you look at the obverse folds in the drapery and cap, the curls and clasp, wear on the cheek and bust. On the reverse, look at the talons, eagle's head and wing tip and feathers.

    For AU luster is important...always hard to judge from photos.

    I'd call this AU53. But I've been wrong a lot lately.
    Lance.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    thanks lance
    i'll update this thread when it grades image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    This one clearly looks au. Just depends on luster. Toning appears to be deep and heavy so luster is likely muted. I do like the coin from the picks...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

    http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as a AU 55.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file