Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stahl Meyer Mickey Mantle - any potential?GOT IT!!

I've been thinking for some time about going after one of these. Nearly everyone you see is lower grade with the (MK) qualifier and sells between $1500 and $3000. Not many have been graded. Think this issue has much potential for appreciation in price due to its scarcity and attractiveness?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    judgebuck-----

I am very surprised nobody has responded to you on this matter. You are certainly to be commended for recognizing some of the merits of this intensely misunderstood, under-appreciated, and I honestly believe, undervalued Mickey Mantle card. Except for a very, very scant fortunate few, Stahl-Meyers do indeed typically grade in PSA 1 or PSA 1 with a stain or marked card qualifier. The fact that so many grade this way speaks volumes about how harsh the effects were of the usual manner in which the cards were issued to the public. What also speaks volumes is the fact these beautiful but scarred cards were STILL saved by adoring young Mantle fans. This Mantle card meant something to them, and it's easy to see why. Look at that perfect portrait of a rookie Mickey Mantle!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's literally hard to take your eyes off of it.

So, to answer your question, the potential for appreciation in price is high. Collectors sometimes need a long time to come to the realization regarding a card's merits. Then again, articles have not been written about Stahl-Meyers, and most collectors need the card and will not discuss it openly for fear of creating another rival for this beautiful Bengal Tiger.

Go to eBay. There's a vendor from Lebanon, Oregon offering all 3 of the Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantles. Perhaps he might be persuaded to part with the 1953 by itself. It's a high-grade looking specimen that was very harshly graded, IMHO. Worth every penny he asks. From the pop report, and what eBay entries I have seen, low high grade commences at PSA 2. How's that for a starting point? Honestly, I've seen 1's that could pass for low high grade, based on superb eye appeal in the area of Mickey's face and Yankees hat.

I have spoken via email on the Net54 board with a gentleman who has a very, very large master Mickey Mantle set that's almost completed, though he doggedly keeps finding new items to increase his already huge assortment of Micks. He finally treated himself to a Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle in 2014, after longing for one for years. When he opened up the package containing his long-wanted rare regional, he was impressed by the over-sized dimensions, and bowled over by the card's appearance. Though it was, as he phrased it, a beater, he fell in love with it immediately, as he'd never had the pleasure of seeing a Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle in person.

The youngster who was the original recipient of this once free prize had actually filled out his name and address on the back of the card, on the lines provided for those wishing to enter Stahl-Meyer's contest to win free tickets to a game involving the New York team of their choice (Dodgers, Giants, or Yankees). For whatever reason, the youngster must have decided to keep his free prize Mickey Mantle card, rather than risk losing it and another Stahl-Meyer card that was the requirement, along with his "25 words or less" essay on why he liked Stahl-Meyer Frankfurts, to enter the company's contest. Sorry about the long response, but I hope you found it interesting and thought provocative.

Should you decide to proceed with hunting down this regal and overall rare Mickey Mantle piece, let us know all about it. I will hang on to every word you say. Take care, and have a wonderful 2015! ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a sweet card that is simply not found in every collection. Far, far from a dismissible "oddball," it features a charming image of Mantle and is highly desired and respected by Mick collectors. In terms of the pure financial side, you won't ever see it tank and all it takes for such a card is one big public sale to vault it to a new price point. If you are already looking at the card, odds are you really want it as a collector and will get tremendous enjoyment out of owning one.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    I don't know or remember how to edit a response on this forum.

Having said the Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle was "most understood" was in error, of course. I meant to say "most misunderstood", though in actuality "most" should be simply changed to "very misunderstood". Oh well, ya proofread too quickly and this is what happens. Sorry about that; I'll try to "get smarter". ---Brian

I will add this, however. When the powers that be added 50 more cards to the once top 200 sports cards to comprise "The Top 250 Sports Cards of All Time" in Joe Orlando's elegant and well-executed coffee table book, the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle was among those 50. I seriously doubt that card was added because it was felt its future financial value would continue to languish in the low thousands.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Boy did his signature change. Or I'm sure they had a secretary or someone sign the proof. Funnynhow far off the M's are. Or maybe he did change it over time. Am I way off?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THE MICK'S early signature was VERY different than the one we see most often. Take a couple of minutes on GOOGLE and you can see how much it changed. IIRC, there are basically three different types that you see most often, with the latest one much more prevalent than the other two.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I'm used to the more common loopy M's. Without really studying them or being in the market.
    I do like the old signature. I wonder how much a premium there is. It's different enough that if I were a collector I would have to have it.
    Thanks.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    How much of a premium I cannot say. Mickey's early signatures are vastly different, and there is indeed a great premium attached to it.

I remember in recent years an episode of Antiques Roadshow whereupon a lady brought in some significant Mickey Mantle material from his days with the Kansas City Blues in 1951. The Roadshow's sports collectibles expert that evaluated them, either Simeon Lipman or Mike Gutierrez, had a near seizure at the sight of these precious relics obtained by the lady's father back in '51. Sadly, I do not recall the appraised value; however, it was major. What I do remember was the lady was very shocked and literally in tears. She was actually losing her composure on the show, and trying with all her power to hold herself up. She must have suspected the relics with Mickey Mantle's rookie year autograph were important and probably valuable, and had carefully continued to save them after her dad had passed, but was not prepared to hear what Mr. Lipman or Mr. Gutierrez enthusiastically valued the group. It seemed the lass could really use the money. I pray she had a nice ending for these. Paying a world record price would leave everyone thoroughly pleased. You get what you pay for, and a rookie autograph of Mickey Mantle in superb condition is indeed rare. Since this matter has generated our side discussion, the autograph printed on the Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle hails from that same early era of Mick's career. When I saw the Roadshow episode, my mind instantly thought, "looks like the same autograph as on the Stahl-Meyer Franks.

After all, my research conclusively proved that the photo of Mickey used to craft his exceedingly beautiful Stahl-Meyer Franks gem was definitely from his rookie year of 1951. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    IndianaJones (Brian) and others: Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments. Yes, as a Mantle collector, I do want the card. I have several of the other non-Topps and non- Bowman Mantles, such as the 1959 Bazooka and the 1960 Post, both of which I think are great looking cards. I'm also thinking of a nice 1954 Dan Dee, which has the same picture as the Stahl Meyer, I think. I like the Stahl Meyer card better, however. Thanks again for your thoughts.

judgebuck (David)

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    David ... best of luck with whatever Mantle you choose. I know you are looking for a profit down the line, but even if you wind up selling it for the same price and you got enjoyment from owning the card, that would seem like a good deal.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Doug, that's the way I look at it. Happy New Year to you and your family. David

• Options
    judgebuck-----

The 1954 Dan Dee Potato Chips card features the exact same Mickey Mantle image as the three Stahl-Meyers. Technically, it is the same size photo, but the Stahl-Meyer's larger player photo area permits much more of the gorgeous Mantle rookie portrait. You see, the very same printing company that created the Stahl-Meyer sets also designed and printed the Dan Dee cards. As well as the rarer, but much more claustrophobic appearing 1954 Briggs Franks, issued with their Washington Senators regional in the area of Washington, DC and its suburbs.

I could not agree with you more on the appearance of Mickey Mantle's 1959 Bazooka and 1960 Post Cereal cards. Completely saturated with eye appeal. Perfect cards. Both of mine are third party graded as AUTHENTIC; however, I know within my own heart that but for the slightest of missing dashed line or frame, respectively, they would easily grade near mint. They're both among my most treasured Mickey Mantle cards. Methinks there's a growing list of Mantle card enthusiasts who all share an affinity for these three issues.

Another major toughie with tons of eye appeal is the 1960 Home Run Derby. A collecting chum of mine got his Mantle Derby card in the hardest way possible---at substantial expense, he purchased a near set JUST TO GET HIS HANDS ON THE MICKEY MANTLE. Through a patient, disciplined strategy, he was able to sell off most of the other cards, all very desirable to either set, player, or type card collectors.

With those funds, he completely recouped his original purchase price and the cost of PSA authenticating and grading his Derby cards. Mickey came out a PSA 2, but was extremely harshly graded, having the appearance of an EXCELLENT, while exhibiting near-perfect centering, and none of the usual hazardous-to-good grading childhood treatments--- tape marks to attach to a scrapbook or wall, glue residue from having been secured in a scrapbook, nor pin or tack holes from being lovingly mounted on a boy's bedroom wall---where all too often a daily dose of the sun's searing rays wash out the image. And so, my chum got his graded 1960 Home Run Derby Mickey Mantle FOR FREE!. I'm very proud of him. He will always relish and remember this card collecting adventure.

Twenty-five years ago, after a bitter auction experience, I settled for the Card Collectors Company reprint of the HR Derby set. Never has a reprint more closely resembled the real deal, with the letters "CCC" and year innocuously printed on the lower right side border. Tastefully done, and high quality too. Good consolation, at least, particularly when complemented by the quality factory DVDs that were released a few years ago of all the original 1960 Home Run Derby TV episodes. What nostalgic wonder.

I know I'm not bloviating, but I had best shush. Take care, friend, and here's hoping you get a Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle you're happy with. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Brian, Agree with you on the 1959 Home Run Derby card. I keep my eye on those, but I've given up hope on acquiring one. I do love those old TV episodes. I watched those as a kid, and was thrilled. I know you can get the DVDs, and I think you can see several on You Tube.

Well guys, I was going to make a run at the 1953 Stahl Meyer PSA 3 (MK) in the Memory Lane auction that ended last night, but it far surpassed what I hoped it would go for. It is a beautiful card, even with the mark (which is not significant), and the bids blew by the $2700-3000 level that I was prepared to go to. After seeing that card, I just had no interest in the other one in that auction. There are only 4 graded higher than PSA/SGC VG 3. Deep down I knew the price would end up well over $3000, but I held out hope.

I appreciate all the comments and encouragement. Good luck to all.

David

• Options
    David,

I am sincerely sorry for your coming up short on the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle offered by Memory Lane, particularly when you seemed to have found one you like. At this point, unless you have a thick bankroll of discretionary card-buying funds, that may be a tough card to get. However, I understand where you're coming from; if you set a limit of what you are prepared to go, and that figure gets blown away, the frustrating experience does not make your day. Obviously, to choose from the nine S-M Manltes available on eBay at this moment, you would have to try to select the one that has the best eye appeal versus the degradation that put the grade where it wound up.

I still maintain the vendor from Oregon with the '53 PSA 1.5 Fair (MK) priced at $4,800 has the best one there, but having typed the price, that's well over 50% above your threshold of pain you set for yourself in the recent auction. My advice is to continue to save up your money for a 1953 Stahl-Meyer Mantle. I don't see the price going down, but it does not seem to be surging, either. Some time ago, I wrote on the Net 54 boards about the reasons most of the Stahl-Meyer Mantles do not move on eBay. In a nutshell, I believe it traces to collectors' lack of knowledge of this card. On the surface, collectors would understandably steer away from cards where the typical condition looks like the inside of a goat's stomach. The eBay prices however, are fair, and at times very generous. That might surprise you, but I've known about those cards since 1972. It was love at first sight. Must go. Take care, David. Don't give up, friend. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Oops

• Options
    Oops

• Options
    Oops

• Options
    Brian, Thanks for your comments. Yes, I was not going past $3000, with buyer's premium included. I can now see clearer that $3000 was not going to be in the ballpark, even though the card did have the (MK) qualifier. It was one of the better ones I've seen. I'm not giving up on getting one, though. One more thing: Although the 1953 is the most popular Stahl Meyer Mantle, the 1954 and 1955 are scarcer (at least according to the PSA Pop Report). David

• Options
    David,

You bring up an interesting point regarding the fact that among Stahl-Meyers, 1954s and 1955s are less plentiful. You must remember that for a long time it was not well known that PSA and SGC graded these. Over the years, relatively few have come out of collections to be third party authenticated and graded. In a world where rare is not accepted by some stinkers unless there's only say 5 specimens or less, perhaps it would be prudent to ponder why there are so few of the other years.

Introduced in 1953 without a great deal of fanfare, the promotion was still somewhat robust in '54, but seemed to shrink back in '55. Whilst we may lament the repeated use of the same photograph, in one major respect that helps Mickey Mantle collectors--would you like to try to have to cough up thousands upon thousands for each year in today's market? I didn't think so. I guess if I imagined a dynamite posed action shot of Mick, that would have been great, but it was expensive enough for me to get the '53, and then I decided I just "had" to get the '54. I don't regret either, believe me, as the portrait of Mickey Mantle is so compellingly beautiful. The yellow borders are loud, but it does make for a very different appearance, and it really is nice in and of itself. However, I must add that I got mine over 25 years ago. It was much harder to get one then, as there was no internet. Also, most collectors who owned Stahl-Meyers did not want to part with them, for they knew how hard they were to get, and they'd probably never get to own them again.

Still, even with how far we've come in the modern era adult organized hobby (since 1969), very few Stahl-Meyers have come into the hobby, whether from collections, or the two finds that I am aware of.

Again, the reason there's so many on eBay is that collectors are unwilling to accept such a low grade-looking Mickey Mantle card for several thousand dollars. Odd, wealthy collectors would pay hundreds of thousands for a raunchy looking T-206 Honus Wagner. Perhaps that's not a fair comparison, but what's the draw with Honus? Great set, great story, hobby lore. I could, and have, presented the same scenario for the Stahl-Meyers---among regional card collectors, which is a much smaller but no less obsessed batch of individuals. However, Mickey Mantle collectors number several times more than T206. Even if I am incorrect, I suspect there's as many people who enjoy collecting Mr. Mantle, whether period or post-career, as the T-206. Nothing against those fabulous tobacco cards, they are perfection when it comes to a baseball card set. Be that as it may, Mickey Mantle collectors comprise a very strong and devoted following---period and post-career.

I'm off the beaten path. Sorry. Perhaps some youngsters did not bother to keep the yellow bordered Stahl-Meyers because they had the same photo. We'll probably never know, as each kid had his own reasons. They were not easy to collect in the years they were issued and that needs to be paramount in your mind, David. Also, they did not fit in with their Topps and Bowmans. They were saved because they were beautiful, and perhaps associated with a father or mother who helped the child get the card by buying those frankfurters. Remember, as simplistic as this sounds, and I am somewhat repeating myself, these weren't the easy-weezie bubble gum cards. They were only, and I mean only, available in metropolitan New York City. Chew on that.

Bottom line----more 53s survived the ravages of time and were kept. Pick the Stahl-Meyer Mantle that appeals to your aesthetic taste the most, whatever the year. Again, wishing you the best in your search for a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle card. PS-----On this one, buy the card, not the number. The only way to have both a breathtaking appearance and an ultra-high grade of PSA 6 or better, you'd have to own one of the less than 5 Stahl-Meyers that have been graded EXCELLENT or better by PSA and SGC. Talk about a condition rarity!!!!!!!!!!! ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Well, I finally bought one, and here it is. Thrilled to have it!! Thanks for all the positive comments when I first posted this.

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0001_2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0002_1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BAM! That's one serious card. Early Mantle, nothin' like early Mick and Ruth. So happy for you man!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Your Honor .... Nice purchase!!!!! Enjoy the card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Plain, simple card design. Love that, nice card.
  • Options
    David,

Just chanced to see your good news. Heartiest of congratulations, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo. Bravo.

When you unwrapped your package, was this the first time you held a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle in your hands? I can still remember my first time, a little over 25 years ago.

Man, that's a honey of a 2. Mickey's face, neck, and his Yankee hat are absolutely unmarred. That's what my eyes go to whenever I see that mesmerizing card of Mick. You did right well, bro. Whaddaya think of that gorgeous background color as well?

I'll let you respond, if you wish, and not give you an article's worth o' words, as I have in the past. Again, sincerest of congratulations, David. Sure, there's a few here and there on the Bay, but that card is one of the most unknown, intriguing, misunderstood and undervalued, esoteric, and I will dare say it again, mesmerizing cards of our Mr. Mantle. A fellow collecting buddy told me when he got his last year he was completely blown away by it.

Salute. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    David,

Just chanced to see your good news. Heartiest of congratulations, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo. Bravo.

When you unwrapped your package, was this the first time you held a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle in your hands? I can still remember my first time, a little over 25 years ago.

Man, that's a honey of a 2. Mickey's face, neck, and his Yankee hat are absolutely unmarred. That's what my eyes go to whenever I see that mesmerizing card of Mick. You did right well, bro. Whaddaya think of that gorgeous background color as well?

I'll let you respond, if you wish, and not give you an article's worth o' words, as I have in the past. Again, sincerest of congratulations, David. Sure, there's a few here and there on the Bay, but that card is one of the most unknown, intriguing, misunderstood and undervalued, esoteric, and I will dare say it again, mesmerizing cards of our Mr. Mantle. A fellow collecting buddy told me when he got his last year he was completely blown away by it.

Salute. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Sorry about the double post. It seemed that my response would not go through, though the system said it had. I had my son override it, post it, and now it shows as a double post---UGGGH!. It's all good, David. We're all happy for ya.

Cheers, man. Celebrate with your favorite all-beef frankfurter, and while you're savoring the taste, imagine what it must have been like back in '53 to have originally gotten this rare king-sized gem Mickey Mantle baseball card!!!

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Years ago, that is one card I really wanted
    Good Luck
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the kind comments. I went after this one because it was a PSA 2, even though it had the qualifier. There are four or five on eBay now, and all grade PSA 1. All on eBay have the number stamp as well, except one, and it is graded PSA 1. PSA has graded only 43 of these, with only five of them getting a grade higher than 2.

And Brian, yes, it is the first time I have held this Mantle card. Not only is it a great picture of him, but the fact that the card is larger than a regular card makes it even more attractive. I'm so taken with the card that I've actually looked around at others, thinking I'd like to have another one. Do I have a sickness, or what?

• Options
    "DO I HAVE A SICKNESS, OR WHAT?"

David, I can only speak as someone who has gone down the same road as you. Knowing I have already delivered loads of hay in recent past, I will endeavor to be brief, but with a sangfroid mind. Within the last six weeks, a fellow Mickey Mantle collector posted on these boards of the fruits of his card labor. He sold a considerable amount of unopened product for some very nice PSA-graded mainstream Topps Mantles. He was very pleased with himself, and well he should be. I posted a reply regarding my own sea story of turning many cards into one card. But this time, the one card was quite the antithesis of the mainstream.

After I was fortunate to procure my first Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle, it took me about a year before I decided I wanted to get the 1954 as well. Honestly, I do not think this is sickness; rather, a connoisseur's appreciation for the nuances to be found in that particular year. Some facets are stark in their differentiation, while others take a tad more time to draw one's attention towards. My card hunting expedition was memorable, but most successful, as I recounted to him my own parallel with his strategy. Perhaps you could ferret out my story. Look for threads on this general side that have Mantle in the title.

Regardless, I wish you the best should you take up this personal challenge, though you might find the going rough.

For what it's worth, if I had to be content with one year, it would easily be the '53. I love the '54 too, but prefer the bone china white borders. Cheers, bro. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Awesome card! "Congratulations" seems insufficient. What a card!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic card, well worth the wait! Congrats!