Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this 1975 Topps card a known variation?

I was going through a bunch of 1975 Topps and noticed something very interesting. This Vida Blue card looks like a variation. The team name at the top is white instead of light blue. I looked at all of the cards on eBay and could not find this variation. Have any of you seen this card or one like it?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I can't say I remember ever seeing this. It would to me that it could possibly fall into the variation category.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the blue ink started running out beginning above Vida's head.

I've never heard of this variation.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Ironic that Vida is missing some blue
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Dave,

As a former printer, that was my thought. The thing that would be interesting to know, is where is Vida Blue's card in the sheet. Printing presses usually start loosing ink in the middle of the roller, because ink has a tendency to collect at the end of the rollers. What is odd is the that the blue appears darker on the card on the left at the Blue's right shoulder than on the card on the right.

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ironic that Vida is missing some blue >>

Nice!

Interesting to see this unique piece.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I just checked in Mr. Lemke's Bible ... nothing listed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Neat card Shane. Would be interesting to know if it is a scarce but recurring print variant or one time defect
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good conversation piece but not a variation in the true sense of the definition.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    The thing that would be interesting to know, is where is Vida Blue's card in the sheet.

Vida Blue is the first card in the middle row (row 6 of 12). See the third sheet in the image below.

• Options
    While it would not make my list as a variation as opposed to a variant, what pray tell is the official hobby definition of a variation ? image

Al
  • Options

<< <i>While it would not make my list as a variation as opposed to a variant, what pray tell is the official hobby definition of a variation ? image >>

Personally, I think many are quick to declare variations for quality control issues. Just because some ink is missing or lighter than usual should not classify as a variant. To me, a true variation that is uniform across a known quantity of examples of cards such as 1982 Topps blackless. We already see too many claims for name in yellow in 1980 Topps when half the name is still red, lol.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I have a set of the 82 Blackless but view them as recurring and changing print defects. They can be found all blackless or with gray traces. Personally I view a variation as a card intentionally changed by the manufacturer, like the 3 different 59 Spahn DOB's or traded/optioned cards. I would include changes not intended specifically but resulting from intended changes in the printing process, like the 62 greenies or the differences that exist in DP cards, like the 52 Mantle, resulting from slight differences in the two double printed cards, often cropping differences.

But as far as I know there is no recognized hobby definition of a "true" variation. The 57 Bakep, the 58 Herrer, the 61 Fairly are all recognized in the hobby as variations, even though they too are just recurring print defects. In my view, what is or is not a variation in the hobby is at the whim of catalog editors and PSA graders.

I collect any interesting variants, which for me are cards different from their common counterparts in some way, sometimes recurring and sometimes not. But value is determined by hobby recognition

Al
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I would define a variation as a card that was changed deliberately by the manufacturer. An example would be the 1974 Washington Nat'l League cards, or the cards that have a trade notation on the back in a subsequent printing. I wouldn't classify the 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle white letter card as a variation, because that was a printing defect.
  • Options
    This card illustrated the problem in knowing when a card is just a recurring print defect or an intentionally changed card. The card with the yellow blob is just a recurring print defect, maybe recurring, maybe not. The other cards, with the exception of the bottom card, all have a finger print at the top of the card. Was it a recurring print defect, or a flaw that was noticed and intentionally corrected. I do not think one could ever know for sure

Another example

Al
  • Options
    This card illustrates the difficulty in deciding if some cards are variations or recurring print defects. The card with they yellow blob is like the 1975 card above, a print defect, maybe recurring, maybe not. Except for the bottom card all the others show a finger print at the top in different degrees. Was this an early print defect that faded out over time on it's own, or a print defect that was noticed and intentionally corrected ?

[image

Another example

Al
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my mind, I see no difference between my Vida Blue card and the 1969 Topps Mantle white letter and the 1958 Topps yellow letter variations except that those are definitely reoccurring. The Vida Blue could be unique or it could be reoccurring, but just hasn't been published.

Shane

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At some point, how interesting the variation is becomes the primary issue. I've seen 30 of the same card with the same print dot in the same place. Does that make it a recurring variation? Either way, it's something almost no one would care about, so the point is moot.
  • Options

<< <i>At some point, how interesting the variation is becomes the primary issue. I've seen 30 of the same card with the same print dot in the same place. Does that make it a recurring variation? Either way, it's something almost no one would care about, so the point is moot. >>

Agreed.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>At some point, how interesting the variation is becomes the primary issue. I've seen 30 of the same card with the same print dot in the same place. Does that make it a recurring variation? Either way, it's something almost no one would care about, so the point is moot. >>

Agreed. >>

I agree with that as well. If this card would have been a 1975 Topps George Brett, Nolan Ryan, or Hank Aaron, it would make it much more interesting and unique. Vida Blue...not so much.

Shane

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    If that Vida Blue card were a coin, it would be off the charts valuable. The mint is infinitely more scrupulous about making sure errors don't leave the building.
  • Options

<< <i>If that Vida Blue card were a coin, it would be off the charts valuable. The mint is infinitely more scrupulous about making sure errors don't leave the building. >>

Depends on the error and the coin. Some common errors like offstruck coins are fairly common. Others like the 1955 cent with DDO are very valuable indeed.