Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Frank Thomas nameless Card

i have an unopened set of the year some of the Frank Thomas cards had the no name error on it and my question is, is there a possibility that card is in the set? Reason i ask is ive heard that card only came out in the wax pack and not the sets. Id rather not open it if there is no chance although i am not sure why. Those cards were do over produced that they are all prob worthless aside from that one error card.

Comments

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I have only seen one and that was back in 1990 when hobby boxes first came out. The funny thing is the card shop I went into all the time busted a box when the product first came out hit one in his box. I got to see it and the next day he sold it to a customer for 50 cents lol.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Not 100% sure, but don't think they were in the factory set.
  • Options
    These cards were only in the very first run of the cards, they never made it into the actual factory sets as those were produced a bit later than the first print run. Not sure what is in future for these cards. Usually error cards are just a fad, nothing more, nothing else and long term value usually does not last. Would be a much better investment to put the money into either a nice 86' Fleer PSA 9 Michael Jordan #57 RC or a 81' Topps PSA 9 Joe Montanna card, would be worth more probably in 15 years vs the error card.

I was in love with that 87 Donruss Barry Bonds error card that was back in the day, however after I saw on sell here recently for around $1,000 there is not much upside to these cards.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jeremy

Welcome.

I have heard all kinds of stories and don't really know what's fact.

At one time, it was believed they never made it to packs and the cards were "back doored" from Topps.

Has anyone actually seen one come from a pack with their own eyes?
    Mike
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    This is a very interesting question, as I've always been unclear how they were distributed, as well. I actually picked a PSA 7 copy up recently.

On a related note - has anyone been tracking the pop report on these? I'd be curious to know how many new examples have been graded over the last few years.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    I bought 12 boxes right when they first came out and the only Frank Thomas cards that I pulled had the names on front! Have seen many, never from a pack, cello or rack pack. Makes you wonder how many were actually produced here.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone actually seen one come from a pack with their own eyes? >>

YES!!!

I was at a show at Trolly Station near Nazareth, PA and there were quite a few pulled AT THE SHOW by two different dealers that had come down from Scranton area and were cracking several wax boxes from different sources. I saw both regular and No-Name come out of the boxes they were breaking (about a half case for each dealer). I did witness 2 Thomas' come out of packs and there were at least 10 No-Names available at that small 20 table show. I bought a couple of Franks and flipped them on SportsNet later that week, but wish I had held on to the really nice one...
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Here are my two

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Should I bust my case of 1990 Topps then ? With my luck I'll end up with 12,000 more commons that I don't need.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Only confirmed in wax thus far; feel free to read an article I'm working on here:

http://www.bighurthof.com/#!1990-topps-variations/c1gda
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>These cards were only in the very first run of the cards, they never made it into the actual factory sets as those were produced a bit later than the first print run. Not sure what is in future for these cards. Usually error cards are just a fad, nothing more, nothing else and long term value usually does not last. Would be a much better investment to put the money into either a nice 86' Fleer PSA 9 Michael Jordan #57 RC or a 81' Topps PSA 9 Joe Montanna card, would be worth more probably in 15 years vs the error card. >>

+1
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    If by error cards you include scarce but recurring print defects, the fad may fade but it has yet to fade for the 57 Bakep, The 58 Herrer or 52 Campos. Once a card has hobby recognition and gets into the catalogs or on the PSA master lists, any set collectors, especially master set collectors, will have to have/need it.

They do sometimes come often down from their initial highs, like the 80 Stanley and other yellow name cards, but still maintain a premium which depends on scarcity. The three 59 Sullivan's are another example. The scarcer the recurring error is, the better it holds value once it has "official" hobby recognition
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Here are my two

image >>

You're a funny guy Al.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone actually seen one come from a pack with their own eyes? >>

YES!!!

I was at a show at Trolly Station near Nazareth, PA and there were quite a few pulled AT THE SHOW by two different dealers that had come down from Scranton area and were cracking several wax boxes from different sources. I saw both regular and No-Name come out of the boxes they were breaking (about a half case for each dealer). I did witness 2 Thomas' come out of packs and there were at least 10 No-Names available at that small 20 table show. I bought a couple of Franks and flipped them on SportsNet later that week, but wish I had held on to the really nice one... >>

Thanx Scott!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    gigfygigfy Posts: 35 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi Jeremy

Welcome.

I have heard all kinds of stories and don't really know what's fact.

At one time, it was believed they never made it to packs and the cards were "back doored" from Topps.

Has anyone actually seen one come from a pack with their own eyes? >>

Yes, I did in 1989/1990 in Saratoga Springs / Ballston Spa NY. Look at the other FT NNOF thread for the story.