Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pistol Pete Set Complete

Just wanted to brag a little on this set that I finally finished. I know it's only 11 cards, and I'm not shelling out the big bucks for high grades (although I plan to upgrade here and there), but I think this set has pretty good eye appeal. I'm quite proud of it.

Pistol

Comments

• You should be proud! Always great to hit 100% on a basic set of an iconic player! I especially like the 1980 card, which shows him in a Celtics jersey with another Celtic great, Dennis Johnson. I read your note and I know you're right, that the Pistol is bayou royalty. Congrats!
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Love it! He was the example my dad always used on how to dribble.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. What's your next project or upgrading this one?
    Sorry I've never got to see him play. Just his amazing highlights.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

• << <i>What's your next project or upgrading this one? >>

Pistol Master?
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Clint - I'm a fan!

Only 11? I've working over 10 years on a set of 67.
    Mike
  • Thanks guys. I really focused on centering as you can see. Upgrades will come when they come. That 71 Maravich is probably my favorite card that I own. I'd like to at least get that 72 Icee Bear card at some point. I like that one. I've never seen some of the items in that master set.

I'm sorta unfocused, like most image but I was thinking of starting a Terry Bradshaw basic being a Louisiana guy and all. I'm always picking up HOF RCs and Braves legends (Aaron, Mathews, Spahn) when I can. I'd like to start a company set, other than 86 fleer basketball which I have some of, but it's such a challenge: 11 years... crazy...
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice looking Pistol Pete set. Congrats on completion. I have toyed with going after his set as well. I am always amazed when I look on the back of his rookie card and see his collegiate scoring stats. Crazy and consistent numbers. 44.2 ppg. with his worst of the 4 years being 43.6. Wow!
  • When he played at LSU they did not allow freshman to play in the "varsity" games. So they would have separate freshman team games. The arena would be packed during those games. Then afterward, most would leave image
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Great looking cards & quite an accomplishment. I'm constantly eyeing his cards on eBay. They don't come up very often for sale...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!! nice accomplishment.

what's next?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Don't know really. Thought about keeping with the LSU theme. Picking up a Pettit RC and his 61 fleer card. Maybe the Shaq RC set. I'll probably work on my HOF RC sets until I get a revelation.
    Braves fan, great idea with Bradshaw. Got me thinking. Who are the most famous leu alum?

Top of my head...bradshaw, pistol, Shaquille, infamy Jamarcus Russell, t mathieu the hedgehog or bobcat or something (?), Lolo jones...from watching a 30 for 30, can think of some current NFL guys not nec famous.
    Baseball...I'm coming up empty.
    Tv...duck commander..didn't their grandfather qb a year ahead of Bradshaw? They had pictures to prove it.
  • Bradshaw went to Louisiana Tech. Vintage famous LSU alums: Bob Pettit (much forgotten about HOFer), Y.A. Tittle, Steve Van Buren (if you want to go way back). There are more.

And don't say JaMarcus Russell's name anymore, ugh.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely love your set. The 76 Maravich is one of my favorites, although I actually like all of his cards. The epitome of "old school". Congratulations on the completion.
    Man I'm getting old. If you asked me where Bradshaw went before i read this thread, I'm all over it. Duh. My bad. Just about unforgivable. Ha.

Good call on y a tittle.And van buren. I have to brush up on my sec history. If they even were in the sec.

Yeah, jamarcus is best forgotten. Hey, they say purple drink is common in the south. What exactly is it? I know it causes you to lose millions of dollars and a career. Gotta be great.