Home Sports Talk
Options

$8 Million for Harbaugh.........$0 for players.

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Slice it and dice it as you will but this is flat out wrong.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what your problem is here???? College coaches all get paid. Granted...way too much. And college players don't. It's not a Harbaugh/Michigan thing.image
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure what your problem is here???? College coaches all get paid. Granted...way too much. And college players don't. It's not a Harbaugh/Michigan thing.image >>

It is plantation football. When Michigan and all the other state funded schools quit taking taxpayers dollars, they can run the programs as they like.
  • Options
    Just what are you saying???
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players do get paid. If on scholarship you get free tuition, board, meals, they get money for books, and other miscellaneous expenses paid for. Those items add up to sometimes over $50k per year. I would consider that essentially getting paid. Id be thrilled to not have to pay my college tuition just because I'm on a sports team. Then, if you're a player not on scholarship, you get free counseling, class tutoring, nutrition information, professional coaching, weight room training, athletic trainers, physical therapy, etc. The list of free perks and items they receive goes on and on. Then all players are getting an immeasurable amount of publicity by playing college athletics. That publicity will help them in getting jobs in the future whether it is in pro sports or not. It's just common sense saying that if 2 people are applying for a job and are both equally qualified, and one is a joeshmo, and one was the running back of Alabama back in the day, that the Alabama running back with national football publicity will most likely get the job. Literally anyway you look at it, college athletes do get paid, and they get paid a lot of money in forms other than cash. There's no reason why a college football player needs to get paid money on top of everything else they already get, whether they are on scholarship or not.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Evan ... I agree with most of what you say, but I believe they should get paid something in addition. How much, I am not quite sure, but probably less than what the OP believes is fair.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Evan ... I agree with most of what you say, but I believe they should get paid something in addition. How much, I am not quite sure, but probably less than what the OP believes is fair. >>

Let the free market determine what is fair. We do that in virtually every other business enterprise. If it is a scholarship or even less for a third string player, so be it. If it is a million bucks for a star QB fine as well. Enough pretending that this is still an amateur sports.
  • Options
    As much as I love football and basketball, I dont want my tuition money going towards paying a fellow classmate, just to play quarterback or point guard....
    What I Collect:

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colleges don't care that most athletes never amount to anything.
    Colleges don't care if athletes graduate and can barely read.
    Colleges don't care if the kids get crippled playing for free either.

Colleges are fine paying 100 worthless do nothing administrators 6 figure salaries .

Colleges will hire a guy whose only only job is to match players up with the steroids they need , and they will lay off teachers to pay that guys salary.

It's all about the benjamins
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    you just have no idea how much it costs to keep a new pair of khakis on the rack every day. get over it.
  • Options

<< <i>As much as I love football and basketball, I dont want my tuition money going towards paying a fellow classmate, just to play quarterback or point guard.... >>

How do you feel about paying the head coach $600,000 per game?
  • Options
    >>>How do you feel about paying the head coach $600,000 per game?<<<

It's crazy........but you and I both know why they do it.

$$$$$$$$$$$ from fans and Bowls!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Players do get paid. If on scholarship you get free tuition, board, meals, they get money for books, and other miscellaneous expenses paid for. Those items add up to sometimes over $50k per year. I would consider that essentially getting paid. Id be thrilled to not have to pay my college tuition just because I'm on a sports team. Then, if you're a player not on scholarship, you get free counseling, class tutoring, nutrition information, professional coaching, weight room training, athletic trainers, physical therapy, etc. The list of free perks and items they receive goes on and on. Then all players are getting an immeasurable amount of publicity by playing college athletics. That publicity will help them in getting jobs in the future whether it is in pro sports or not. It's just common sense saying that if 2 people are applying for a job and are both equally qualified, and one is a joeshmo, and one was the running back of Alabama back in the day, that the Alabama running back with national football publicity will most likely get the job. Literally anyway you look at it, college athletes do get paid, and they get paid a lot of money in forms other than cash. There's no reason why a college football player needs to get paid money on top of everything else they already get, whether they are on scholarship or not. >>

And don't forget the ladies within the perks.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Players do get paid. If on scholarship you get free tuition, board, meals, they get money for books, and other miscellaneous expenses paid for. Those items add up to sometimes over $50k per year. I would consider that essentially getting paid. Id be thrilled to not have to pay my college tuition just because I'm on a sports team. Then, if you're a player not on scholarship, you get free counseling, class tutoring, nutrition information, professional coaching, weight room training, athletic trainers, physical therapy, etc. The list of free perks and items they receive goes on and on. Then all players are getting an immeasurable amount of publicity by playing college athletics. That publicity will help them in getting jobs in the future whether it is in pro sports or not. It's just common sense saying that if 2 people are applying for a job and are both equally qualified, and one is a joeshmo, and one was the running back of Alabama back in the day, that the Alabama running back with national football publicity will most likely get the job. Literally anyway you look at it, college athletes do get paid, and they get paid a lot of money in forms other than cash. There's no reason why a college football player needs to get paid money on top of everything else they already get, whether they are on scholarship or not.

>>

And don't forget the ladies within the perks. >>

As a current student at a big football university, ive seen the lady perks of football players a number of times when going out on weekends. Thats definitely a perk lol.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    While an argument could be made that college athletes are being compensated for their services by getting their tuition, room and board, books, etc. covered, it is just a fraction of the revenue that they are generating for the schools. The fact that the schools are selling jerseys with the star player's number on it, and the player receives nothing for it, is exploitative at best, and at worse legal larceny.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just what we need for NCAA sports, paying college players, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>While an argument could be made that college athletes are being compensated for their services by getting their tuition, room and board, books, etc. covered, it is just a fraction of the revenue that they are generating for the schools. The fact that the schools are selling jerseys with the star player's number on it, and the player receives nothing for it, is exploitative at best, and at worse legal larceny. >>

If someone is paying my tuition. They can sell whatever they want with my name and number on it. Hell put it on coffee mugs and underwear for all I care.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Just what we need for NCAA sports, paying college players, lol.. >>

lol....it is pro sports now. Ready or not.
  • Options
    If someone is paying my tuition. They can sell whatever they want with my name and number on it. Hell put it on coffee mugs and underwear for all I care.

Ed O'Bannon didn't agree with that:

link to article
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it these players get scholorships and that is no joke, they graduate and are not saddled with thousands upon thousands of student loans and that is HUGE.

The School needs to make money so accept a scholorship and be happy with it, most of these college kids will never play in the NFL but they get an education out of it from prestigious schools. If a video game or outside agency wants to use these kids names that should be looked at as a part time job and they be allowed to get paid, I cant understand what the problem is with the NCAA.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just what we need for NCAA sports, paying college players, lol.. >>

lol....it is pro sports now. Ready or not. >>

No, it's not. One has nothing to do with the other.

I agree with Paul. The free ride at top notch schools is easily worth more than what 95% of the players would make in the first place.

Heck, why even force players to enter the NFL draft--they can keep playing "pro" ball at the college level for as long as they want to stay in school.

The big paydays await soon enough if the talent and ability are there. Do players really need to command top dollar while still in their teens?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The way I see it these players get scholorships and that is no joke, they graduate and are not saddled with thousands upon thousands of student loans and that is HUGE. >>

Oh yeah sure. The doofus degree in Middle Eurasian studies will get the concussion addled athlete far in life.

Not everyone is Andrew Luck.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The way I see it these players get scholorships and that is no joke, they graduate and are not saddled with thousands upon thousands of student loans and that is HUGE. >>

Oh yeah sure. The doofus degree in Middle Eurasian studies will get the concussion addled athlete far in life.

Not everyone is Andrew Luck. >>

Maybe they should take an actual major then..... Some of these college athletes are so dumb that they don't even deserve to be in college in the first place.

So now you're saying that the ncaa should be paying people to play sports in college, when half of them didn't even have the intellect to get into college without sports? That just backs up my point that they don't deserve to get paid and that what they already get is more than enough.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>

Not everyone is Andrew Luck. >>

Or Richard Sherman..

• Options

<< <i>So now you're saying that the ncaa should be paying people to play sports in college, when half of them didn't even have the intellect to get into college without sports? That just backs up my point that they don't deserve to get paid and that what they already get is more than enough. >>

I am saying that the NCAA collusion banning payment should be broken up. Let each school decide on a compensation plan....or none at all.

Odd that a truly "amateur" sport would pay a man eight million simoleons a year to coach a bunch of dumb jocks that are deserving of nothing more than meals, a dorm and classroom time.

Huge money in college football. Share the wealth with those that have the talent.
  • Options
    Maybe they should take an actual major then..... Some of these college athletes are so dumb that they don't even deserve to be in college in the first place.

If that's true, then aren't many, if not most, colleges with elite football programs perpetuating a massive fraud by continuing to pass these kids along, without a concern as to whether they are actually learning anything? If that is the case, then the value of their education isn't worth a plug nickel. There are two ways the NCAA could go, either give the student ample opportunities to earn their degree, so that his/her education actually has value, or just admit that these kids are there solely for their athletic prowess and ability to generate revenue for the school.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As much as I love football and basketball, I dont want my tuition money going towards paying a fellow classmate, just to play quarterback or point guard.... >>

Your tuition doesn't go to the athletic department at all.
  • Options

<< <i>Players do get paid. If on scholarship you get free tuition, board, meals, they get money for books, and other miscellaneous expenses paid for. Those items add up to sometimes over $50k per year. I would consider that essentially getting paid. Id be thrilled to not have to pay my college tuition just because I'm on a sports team. Then, if you're a player not on scholarship, you get free counseling, class tutoring, nutrition information, professional coaching, weight room training, athletic trainers, physical therapy, etc. The list of free perks and items they receive goes on and on. Then all players are getting an immeasurable amount of publicity by playing college athletics. That publicity will help them in getting jobs in the future whether it is in pro sports or not. It's just common sense saying that if 2 people are applying for a job and are both equally qualified, and one is a joeshmo, and one was the running back of Alabama back in the day, that the Alabama running back with national football publicity will most likely get the job. Literally anyway you look at it, college athletes do get paid, and they get paid a lot of money in forms other than cash. There's no reason why a college football player needs to get paid money on top of everything else they already get, whether they are on scholarship or not. >>

They're not getting paid. If they were getting paid, they would have cash in hand to pay for stuff like movie tickets. They don't. If all the things you mention constitute "getting paid", why don't coaches - or administrators - work under the same deal?

And, really, the problem isn't even so much paying players, it's the fact that the NCAA bans the players from getting jobs or otherwise earning money on their own. Music scholarship students can take paying gigs or give lessons or whatever but athletes aren't given the same treatment. That's not right.

Personally, I don't care if schools pay players. I just want guys to be able to sell their autograph.
  • Options

<< <i>The way I see it these players get scholorships and that is no joke, they graduate and are not saddled with thousands upon thousands of student loans and that is HUGE.. >>

As I remind people every time this topic comes up, not every guy is on scholarship. Not even every starter. Especially in sports like baseball. But those non-scholarship guys are still not allowed to earn outside money, while still having to pay tuition.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The way I see it these players get scholorships and that is no joke, they graduate and are not saddled with thousands upon thousands of student loans and that is HUGE.. >>

As I remind people every time this topic comes up, not every guy is on scholarship. Not even every starter. Especially in sports like baseball. But those non-scholarship guys are still not allowed to earn outside money, while still having to pay tuition. >>

Not every guy is on scholarship. OK then who is forcing them to play sports? If they want to play then thats their choice, if they want to hit the books hard rather than play sports then thats their choice too.
  • Options

<< <i>Not every guy is on scholarship. OK then who is forcing them to play sports? If they want to play then thats their choice, if they want to hit the books hard rather than play sports then thats their choice too. >>

Absolutely true, but that is not the problem. Many schools would gladly pay hundreds of thousands of dollars or more to bring in a top prospect. They are prohibited though by a monopolistic cartel which they have created. No such restrictions though seem to apply to the 8 million dollar head coach.

Coach drives a Bentley while money player walks.

Well of course the money player really drives an Escalade provided by a sympathetic booster, but why not clean this mess up and admit that this is a professional league now.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets just ban college sports as feeder leagues to the major sports leagues period.

Have minor leagues that operate for profit and be done with it. Leave sports in college for actual whatchamacallits ummmm ya students . Keep the track , the diving , tennis , golf , etc.

Football and basketball in college need to be gone for sure .

Hockey is probably ok , as is college baseball if there even is such a thing. image

Keep the womens volleyball obviously. image

Seriously though college football and basketball I would never even notice if they just ceased to exist.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As I remind people every time this topic comes up, not every guy is on scholarship. Not even every starter. Especially in sports like baseball. But those non-scholarship guys are still not allowed to earn outside money, while still having to pay tuition. >>

Not every guy is on scholarship. OK then who is forcing them to play sports? If they want to play then thats their choice, if they want to hit the books hard rather than play sports then thats their choice too. >>

Never said anyone was forcing them to play. Doesn't make the system any les unfair for those who choose to play though.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually 5 million per year. He wants some dough to go to assistants . Didn't want to be the highest paid coach. Michigan got their man and as an alum I couldn't be happier

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I read the 5 million a year is a smokescreen for just the discussion we are having here. They even think 8 million when players get next to nothing sounds greedy. If you look closer. With some easy incentives, back loading, Michigan math (ha) it still comes to about 8 million a year.
    I think florio was talking about this on the Eisen show.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    I'm having a hard time comprehending what you wrote, could you explain what you mean?
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Confirmed by Florio of profootballtalk, Dan Patrick and sports center is that harbaugh is getting a lot more than $5 million a year.

Michigans P.R. Dept. released the headline that it's $5 million a year contract. But if you look closer. There are easy incentives that he'll hit, yearly raises and a bonus "to be discussed in the future". That's the most blatant and insulting addendum.

But long story short, he'll most likely be making 7-8 million a year. It just sounds bad to publicize such a large number when the athletes are essentially making nothing. So 5 sounds better than 8 as a headline.

It's kind of the opposite of when you hear that an NFL player signed a $100 million contract when he will actually be lucky to see half of that.

Btw, I reread what I wrote and seemed to come thru to me. Sorry. Maybe it's the shorthand I'm always using due to having to text a lot with work.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Yo comprendo, muchas gracias senor.