Home Sports Talk
Options

How in the He_l did Seattle get seeded above Dallas!!!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
They both ended up 12-4 and we BEAT them!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put, in 3-way tie for home field, conference record trumps head to head for 2 teams, if 3 teams are tied.

From NFL.com:

To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.

And here is wild card tie-breakers:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Simply put, in 3-way tie for home field, conference record trumps head to head for 2 teams, if 3 teams are tied, and Dallas had worst conference record among the 3 12-4 teams.

From NFL.com:

To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it based on conference record?
  • Options

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Things could be worse. Detroit lost 24th straight at Green Bay.

Edit to add: Simply put! image
  • Options
    Simply put, in 3-way tie for home field, conference record trumps head to head for 2 teams, if 3 teams are tied, and Dallas had worst conference record among the 3 12-4 teams.

From NFL.com:

Three or More Clubs

• Options
    Wacky posts, lol..

• Options
    That's a bunch of BULL CRAP......it should always be head to head if you played each other!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>That's a bunch of BULL CRAP......it should always be head to head if you played each other!!!image >>

That's not the rule, though, if 3 teams are involved. You can dislike the rule but the rules are the rules. Had Dallas beaten GB also, they'd have the bye.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    You're asking this now? Everybody knew the what ifs in the playoff scenario.
  • Options
    This is why the S.F. loss was sooooooooo huge.

At 13-3 we get the bye and Green Bay comes to our house.

Now we have to play next week and then go to G.B.

All stadiums should be domes!!!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>This is why the S.F. loss was sooooooooo huge.

At 13-3 we get the bye and Green Bay comes to our house.

Now we have to play next week and then go to G.B.

All stadiums should be domes!!!!!! image >>

Now, you're complaining the Cowboys finished 12-4 as opposed to 13-3?? You would have been happy with 9-7 on Opening Day! LOL!!

• Options

<< <i>All stadiums should be domes!!!!!! >>

.....and in Texas!

• Options
    To add insult to injury, too, Detroit at 6 seed is a tougher matchup that AZ at 5 seed..

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um.... the rules? image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Dallas was undeafeated on the road. Who cares about home field advantage? ! This year it was a home disadvantage.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    If, somehow, Dallas wins 2 playoff games and makes it to the PNW, it will be a different team Romo and co. will be facing,
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rules were set up before the season began to take care of situations like this. Win them all and you don't have to worry about home field.image
  • Options

<< <i>If, somehow, Dallas wins 2 playoff games and makes it to the PNW, it will be a different team Romo and co. will be facing, >>

If for some reasons Seattle is still around and Dallas comes to town, it will be a different team that Seattle will face. An even better one that took care of them earlier in the year. A team clicking on all cylinders on the offensive side of the ball.
  • Options
    Cowboys @ Seattle would be a great game, but something tells me the current Seahawks D might smother Dallas.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If, somehow, Dallas wins 2 playoff games and makes it to the PNW, it will be a different team Romo and co. will be facing, >>

If for some reasons Seattle is still around and Dallas comes to town, it will be a different team that Seattle will face. An even better one that took care of them earlier in the year. A team clicking on all cylinders on the offensive side of the ball. >>

We're all shakin' in our boots up here.

Did you know, if Tony wins 2 playoff games and makes it to the NFC Championship game, he will have equaled Russell Wilson's # of playoff victories....from last year?

Fascinating.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay money for Dal @ Sea in the NFC Championship game. The ratings for that little nugget would be astronomical.

Lots of plausible scenarios in its stead, however. Be careful underestimating Carolina, and lest we forget about a looming road game for the Boys @ Lambeau.
  • Options

<< <i>

We're all shakin' in our boots up here.

Did you know, if Tony wins 2 playoff games and makes it to the NFC Championship game, he will have equaled Russell Wilson's # of playoff victories....from last year?

Fascinating. >>

Meaningless. Last time I checked, football was a team sport.

By the way, you could have won the same amount of playoff games as Wilson did last year with that d LOL!
  • Options

Always good to see the Hawks fans come out of the woodwork this time of year. image

• Options
    Seattle doesn't scare me near as much as Green Bay and that crappy outside stadium of their's!
  • Options
    Carolina is the X factor. Look out...I'd frankly rather play the Boys.

In any event, welcome to Century Link, home of the World Champs!

Dave
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but something tells me the current Seahawks D might smother Dallas >>

Link
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Dallas vs Seattle should be a incredible atmosphere if it were to happen. I'd call it the real Super Bowl like last years SF vs SEA NFC Championship. I think the NFC wins the Super Bowl again.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    This is why the S.F. loss was sooooooooo huge.

Did that game cost them home field throughout anymore than the Arizona game, or the first
    Washington or Philly games?

Quit your whining and always looking for something to complain about. Very few people anywhere, yourself included could have possibly imagined a playoff season from them, let alone one in which they are one of the 2 hottest teams in all of football right now.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    "Always" indicates it's a frequent annual event for Seattle to be here. Other than a couple of good years with Jim Zorn and company this is a new phenomenon, no!?
  • Options
    I like the way Seattle fans assume the NFC Championship game will be played there!

Seattle has been to 2 Super Bowls and are 1-1. Cowboys are 5-3. The only fans that can talk smack to us are Steeler fans who are 6-1.....their only loss being to Dallas in 95!

Seattle......MEH!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Always good to see the Hawks fans come out of the woodwork this time of year. image >>

I know, Grote, out of the woodwork on a weekly basis during the entire football season here and sometimes CBT. I'm a total bandwagon fan. Not all of us can be here berating our home team constantly like Dimeman (Cowboys) or WTCG (49ers). I make it here when I can, and with school on Winter break, I have a couple weeks off

And, yes, Matthew comparing the playoff success between the two QBs is highly relevant. One has a win % of this year's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the other has a postseason record of 4-1 and a ring after two seasons.

I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with anyone, as you're all good guys- even Dimeman. The fact remains that this Dallas team has been a perennial under-achiever for the previous 3 seasons, and finally broke through and still needs to prove they can do it when it counts. And, whoever tried giving me a history lesson on what happened 20 years ago with Dallas, THAT is irrelevant; unless we're talking about the last time they won something. image
  • Options

<< <i>And, yes, Matthew comparing the playoff success between the two QBs is highly relevant. One has a win % of this year's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the other has a postseason record of 4-1 and a ring after two seasons. >>

Gonna have to disagree with you again. Previous playoff wins or losses, playoff records or whatever old stats you wanna dredge up have nothing to do with this playoff season. I don't give a rat's ass what Wilson or Romo did last year or previous seasons. It has no bearing on this season or any season going forward.
  • Options
    Right now the Cowboys are one of the best teams in the NFL. And right now Romo is one of the best QB's in the NFL. Key words are "right now".

I really feel....based on the last 4 or 5 weeks....that the Cowboys are the best team in the NFC and Romo is the best QB in the NFC. Romo is a better QB than Wilson period.

I have berated Romo and Jerry in the past based on what they were doing at the time. Right now they are doing great. That does not mean I think they are a lock to win the SB. But if they continue to play like the last 4 weeks.......they have a real GOOD shot.

Just saying.image
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>I like the way Seattle fans assume the NFC Championship game will be played there!

Seattle has been to 2 Super Bowls and are 1-1. Cowboys are 5-3. The only fans that can talk smack to us are Steeler fans who are 6-1.....their only loss being to Dallas in 95!

Seattle......MEH!!!! >>

I know that Cowboys and Steelers fans like to pretend that the NFL didn't begin until 1970, but just for the record, Green Bay has won 12 NFL Championships. Chicago has 9 and the Giants have 8.

Now back to the discussion how the NFL has been planning to screw the Cowboys for years with their longstanding, ahem, I mean arbitrary tie-breaking procedures.
  • Options
    >>>Now back to the discussion how the NFL has been planning to screw the Cowboys for years with their longstanding, ahem, I mean arbitrary tie-breaking procedures.<<<

I know how the rule is. It just seems to me that if we have the same record as Seattle and we play each other in the playoff's and we beat Seattle....that playoff game should be at Dallas.

Just seems right.
  • Options

<< <i>Seattle doesn't scare me near as much as Green Bay and that crappy outside stadium of their's! >>

Dimeman....do you want to win a couple of playoff games or do you want to win the Super Bowl?

In the first case the seedings and venues matter, in the second case you should be prepared to win at any stadium in any conditions.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seattle doesn't scare me near as much as Green Bay and that crappy outside stadium of their's! >>

Dimeman....do you want to win a couple of playoff games or do you want to win the Super Bowl?

In the first case the seedings and venues matter, in the second case you should be prepared to win at any stadium in any conditions. >>

Well said.
  • Options
    >>>Dimeman....do you want to win a couple of playoff games or do you want to win the Super Bowl?

In the first case the seedings and venues matter, in the second case you should be prepared to win at any stadium in any conditions. >>

Of course I want to win the Super Bowl. But you have to win the games to get there.

If we play Seattle we deserve to play that game at our house!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rules are rules.

I recall a few years ago a division winner with an 8-8 record (Denver I think) hosted a first round playoff game against a wild card team that had a much better record (11-5?). A fan of the wild card team with the better record complained long and loud on the Sports Forum that it was not fair that his team had to play on the road. He could not accept the fact that the rules are written in a manner whereby division winners with the #3 and #4 seed host games against the wild card teams with the #5 and #6 seeds. The rules state that regular season record does not matter. He whined and moaned and complained incessantly. Others pointed the rule out to him and it did not matter. Eventually others invited him to take up the cause of persuading the NFL to change the rule to one of his liking. I do not think he took up the challenge since the rule has (to my knowledge) not been changed.

I can see Dimeman's point, but again the rule is what the rule is. So unless the NFL changes the rule in the next few days, Dallas would have to play in Seattle if the two teams meet.

I also am glad for Dimeman that his favorite team is in the playoffs once again. It will be a blessing and a curse for him though. A blessing because he gets to watch playoff football with his team in the postseason party. A curse because even if Dallas plays very well, Dimeman will have his stomach churning with acid and his blood pressure up watching his team play. In the back of his mind a voice will point out that Dallas and Tony Romo have disappointed many times over the years. Anxiety will set in and any mistake by any Dallas player in crunch time will be agonizing for Dimeman.

NFL playoffs sure do generate the "thrill of victory" and the "agony of defeat".
  • Options
    A division winner always has home field over a wild card no matter what the records are and it should be that way.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see Dallas beating Seattle no matter where they play.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    >>>I don't see Dallas beating Seattle no matter where they play. <<<

I do! We already beat them at their house.....and we are better now than we were then!image
  • Options
    and we are better now than we were then!image

So are the Hawks I think.

Edit spelling

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    If they meet up, I just hope for an entertaining, high-scoring game. The NFC Championship game last season was a lot of fun, especially since the 49ers lost.

Speaking of the 49ers, nothing gives me greater pleasure than to see the turmoil they're in right now. To quote Mark Cuban, I hope they suck forever.

And for those that don't know, I'm a Rams fan. Yeah, I know they went 6-10. Shaddup. image
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Blah blah blah, Cowboys won't make it out of Lambeau. Heck, they may not even make it there.
  • Options
    The Boys have given up 140 pts the last six games. Decent D.

The Seahawks given up 39 pts in the last six games, to better competition. Lights out D.

D wins Championships, gents.

If the Boys make to Century Link, I don't think they win this time. That said, I would not be shocked to see them go that far...but I think Century Link will likely be the end of the road. Seahawks D is just too tough right now. Its also doesn't help that Century Link seems to be Romo's personal H*LL. image

Good luck guys!

Dave