Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mickey Mantle Autograph Question

In the thread about my uncles cards I mentioned a nice looking framed autographed picture. There is a Score Board certificate on the back. What are your opinions on the signature? Is it real?
Thank you, James

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No good. >>

agreed

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I am not even close to being a Mantle auto expert ... but as soon as I saw the first couple letters my initial reaction was NO GOOD. But PLEASE do not go by my opinion. Best of luck.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Wow those M's look wrong. I stopped there.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks off to me, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Very poor attempt
    Nathan Wagner
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I won this for answering a Heritage survey at a National some years back. It came with it's prior auction history, including Heritage's purchase of it for the survey raffle prize

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Bishop,

Your Mantle autographed bat is a legit Mantle signature. Nice bat!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Won't psa do a quick overall look?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Won't psa do a quick overall look? >>

From what I read on the PSA site the item has to be listed in an auction for them to do the quick opinion.
    James

<< <i>

<< <i>Won't psa do a quick overall look? >>

From what I read on the PSA site the item has to be listed in an auction for them to do the quick opinion.
    James >>

Correct. So what people will do is list their item on eBay with an extremely high BIN (so they know it won't sell) and then pay for a quick opinion from PSA.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give you guys a lot of credit. Im terrible at autos. I looked at the scan before I read everyones reply and I thought it looked good.
    I would never make it at PSA/DNA.

<< <i>I would never make it at PSA/DNA. >>

Same here ... so don't feel too bad! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was just looking at a PSA/DNA autographed photo that BBCE has listed on Ebay. The signature is very close to the one I have here. I can't figure out how to post the picture from the Ebay listing so I will post the auction link.
    James

Mantle Auto Listing
    Here you go:

James ... take a look at the "downstroke" in the first "M" of your signature. If you look at this one above and other Mantles, you will see that it is quite a bit different.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• For those of us who aren't experts at spotting the little nuances in fake autographs, can someone point out the things that make #1 fake if #2 and #3 are known to be legitimate?

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my signature was in demand, the authenticators would be screwed. My signature has different flourishes in it on a daily basis.

Edited to add; the "y" on the bat looks off to me, but thats the good sig.
  • Quite a few people jumped on the auto in the original picture as being no good. Can any of them look at my comparisons and point out what they saw?
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    The t in mantle on the lower two loops up slightly, the top one looks like a stick figure t, and the second M has a sharp ending instead of a smooth rounded one like a flowing autograph
    Nathan Wagner