Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with ancient coin identification.

I've had this coin since about 1985 and the man who gave it to me then said he'd had it for decades (1960's?).

From my examination the obverse legend appears to be: IMP CAES DOMIT AUG GERM COS XVI CENSPER PP
And reverse has S C around the standing figure

Dimensions: 13.4g 27mm 4mm

Based on a little research of my own I believe it is Sear 809, a Domitian Dupondius circa 92 AD made of orichalcum.

Questions:
1) What is it?
2) Is it authentic? (and what indicates that it is or isn't)
3) How would I go about submitting to PCGS or NGC for encapsulation if desired?
4) Ballpark value?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You appear to have identified it more or less correctly; it is indeed a brass dupondius of Domitian. The spiky "radiate crown" indicates the denomination (the larger sestertius and smaller as both feature the emperor wearing a laurel wreath instead). "Sear 809" is an old reference number; the newer "millennium edition" catalogue features a lot more coins and the series had been re-numbered; it is now Sear 2798. The barely-readable reverse legend is VIRTVTI AVGVSTI, the figure is Virtus standing holding spear and parazonium, with left foot on a helmet on the ground. Sear gives the period of issue at AD 92 to 94.

It appears genuine to me. Ancient brass should ideally not look "brassy" like this, but in this case I believe it to be the result of overzealous cleaning, rather than being of recent manufacture. The green-and-red verdigris spots that seemed to have resisted the cleaning are a positive sign for me; fake patina is usually thin and powdery and rarely so stubborn to remove. The porous surface is likewise a remnant of severe cleaning (probably electrolysis) rather than a sign of casting.

Ancients collectors generally don't slab their coins. PCGS doesn't do it at all. NGC does, but they use their own multi-faceted grading system for it. Either way, I wouldn't think this coin would be worth the effort. It survived the past 1900 years without the help of a slab and doesn't really look like it needs further protection.

The coin is genuine and identifiable as to specific type, but overcleaned and seems to have been fairly worn to begin with. The large planchet crack will also detract from value. Sear gives it a value of US$72 in Fine; I wouldn't rate this one above Good. Maybe $30 to $40?
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Sap. Good to know I was on the right track. I'll make note of the VIRTUTI AVGVSTI legend and new Sear number.

I certainly appreciate the usefulness of the Sear book I have and imagine the new ones are even better.

Season's Greetings and thanks again.