Home Sports Talk

Anyone clean in professional athletics?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Just listening to piece on the radio about juiced distance runners. These are the fellows that weigh 130 pounds.

In baseball we use mass as a gauge of PED use. Toss that out the window. Everyone that earns a living in athletics is at the least, suspect.

Unfortunate but a reality.

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. The janitors in the locker rooms.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always find something negative in any arena if you search hard enough.

Athletes are tested which is all we can expect as fans. Not sure what runners the person was referring to but I know testing is pretty strict at the higher levels of competition.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the Managers in Baseball are clean
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can always find something negative in any arena if you search hard enough.

Athletes are tested which is all we can expect as fans. Not sure what runners the person was referring to but I know testing is pretty strict at the higher levels of competition. >>

Rita Jeptoo

....and Liliya Shobukhova
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You can always find something negative in any arena if you search hard enough.

Athletes are tested which is all we can expect as fans. Not sure what runners the person was referring to but I know testing is pretty strict at the higher levels of competition. >>

Rita Jeptoo

....and Liliya Shobukhova >>

She was caught so they got it right. Athletes have been cheating for years. The Steelers of the 1970s were loaded with steroids and PEDs. If anything, the testing is stricter now, which is necessary as technology becomes more advanced with designer drugs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Sure seems like the Lakers are clean. Hopefully there is a pharmacist working on the situation.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Zamboni (machine)?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

The NFL?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The NFL? >>

or the NBA, NHL, ATP/WTA etc. ...MLB, cycling, and perhaps a few of the Olympic type sports seem to be the only organizations that have any real interest in pinching an athlete...certainly a top draw athlete. All endurance related sports, whether it's track or soccer or tennis or basketball are all rife with people on EPO or micro-dosing concoctions of EPO/HGH/synthetic testosterone which are untraceable in one's system by the time testers retrieve their sample. In and out in less than 3 hours with an immediate boost - and can come in the form of a simple gummy substance that looks like a Life Saver. No injections. Before people started suspecting Nadal and Djokovic of being on the gas (they are),, they'd take these things on court between changeovers. It's hilarious actually because soon after the ATP started to allegedly ramp up their testing, the respective PR teams of athletes like those two would start running puff pieces about changing their diets to gluten free which became the sole reason for their magical transformation into superhuman endurance beasts despite the sport having at that time, all of a five week off-season to train. That isn't even counting the legal/semi-legal (depending on the sport) stuff like Platelet-Rich Plasma blood spinning and CVAC pods. If there is money to be made, there are corners being cut. I just assume at least 80% of athletes in a given sport are on something even if it's just micro-dosing of EPO or testosterone.

• BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    I doubt it, and it truly depends on your definition of clean.

Are legal prohormones or designer steroids considered clean? They're legal and can be bought over the counter. Then there are items like XFactor (arachidonic acid) that can build muscle fairly easily, highly doubt it can be tested for, and readily available OTC.

Insulin can also be used to build muscle and help in recovery when used correctly. It's not just for diabetics any more. Ever wonder how body builders went from huge (Arnold) to just jaw dropping enormous (Cutler)? GH and insulin...not more steroids.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!