Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

You suck award???

Does this qualify for my second you suck award? Pick ed this complete set up for $55. Yes they are sterling.image
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-60-Sterling-Silver-Longines-Symphonette-Medals-Great-American-Triumphs/261686380597?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=35af1f4a0c6f48a58865f14bdc8992ae&pid=100005&prg=20131003132420&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=140808552689&rt=nc
Sorry-don't know how to paste the link here. Someone enlighten me please. Have a great holicay guys and gals.
Olmanjon
Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
http://bit.ly/bxi7py

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    That really kinda sorta sucks!!!

To really get a YOU SUCK! they would have had to been gold!! LOL!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I would give the You Suck. It looks like the whole set is 61+ ounces of silver (60 medals, 1.1 or so ounces--going by the grams, sterling) and you got the WHOLE SET for under a dollar an ounce then. Yep, that is suckage in the nicest way possible. Though Marty is right, gold would have been better...

Now, if the medals are artistically desirable to you well, that's even better.

So, You Suck. image

Cathy

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, you cannot ask for a you suck, sorry.
  • Options
    Mea culpa-your right -you can't ask for a you suck award. I got my first one from Lord M and that will always be a treasure by itself. By the way the medals weigh 1.235 ounces of sterling plus one larger one at 1.555 ounces which brings it to 74.42 ounces sterling or 68.8 ounces of silver. I forgot to mention that there was also a set of 11 medals commemorating battles of the americn revolution which were pewter that I received along with the sterling. I purchased these at auction. In another group I purchased 36 medals that were issued by D.A.R. commemorating the great women of the American Revolution(all in pewter) for $30. All in all a pretty good night. Happy New Years to everyone,
    Olmanjon
    PS-I bid on the set just because I admired the artistry. I think they will go up on the wall in my office.
  • Options
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care if you just stepped off the space shuttle and into your convertible benz waiting to take you to the latest uber sushi joint, YOU DON'T SUCK!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's a lot of nice silver.

Wow. I just saw a recent MadMarty posting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    At least a lick
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great for you.

Not great for the person who got ripped.

I'm always uneasy saying "great job" in these situations.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    These medals were bought at a local antique auction house that is held in my area everyother saturday. The items up for auction on shown on the internet and there is a two hour review of all items before the sale. There were probably 30 antique dealers in the crowd that night. The two groups of medals all looked like pewter and the auction house called them pewter. I bought them as pewter because they really looked like neat medals and I only bid less than 80 cents per coin. Most of the stuff at these auctions are leftovers from garage sales or stuff that has been inherited that no one wants. It wasn't until searching out these medals and finding two of them at my local coin shop that I discovered that they were sterling. I don't feel that I ripped anyone off. If I bought a roll of wheaties at a dealer and discovered a key date in the roll I would feel the same way. For once I feel that I just got lucky. Sorry about venting.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't being accusatory -- I was just saying that without knowing the full story, it's hard to congratulate someone on getting a "deal" like this. Congrats, as it seems there was ample opportunity for others to find out what they truly were and bid against you. image

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't care if you just stepped off the space shuttle and into your convertible benz waiting to take you to the latest uber sushi joint, YOU DON'T SUCK! >>

What if he has a Gold sac from the moon will he SUCK then Mark? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. That's a lot of nice silver.

Wow. I just saw a recent MadMarty posting. >>

Sometimes I still wonder over here!! BTW, one hell of a RIP on those!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post on precious metals forum and you'll get one ..
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unusual things can happen at the type of auction the op described.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.