Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Funding my Man Cave Project (w/ pictures) !!!

Okay, so not so much funding the project... just trying to fund the completion of such... and start rebuilding my savings!

I used to be pretty active on these forums, but it's been awhile. To those I haven't conversed with in quite awhile... it's good to be back! To those that are new... welcome to the forums and I hope you're enjoying it here!

A little over a year ago I decided to make a major life change! I left the comforts of a well paying, very rewarding, but also nice and easy government job... and an area I lived in for nearly 18 years... to accept an equally well-paying job that relocated me 600 miles away... back to the hometown I left when I was 18 years old and departed for the Air Force! It was definitely not a decision I regret... but it's led to a lot of change in my life... and my thoughts on collecting!

Where I live, the hobby is truly dead! No card shops... and very, very, very few people I know that collect anything sports related! In addition to that, and maybe in part because of that, my action in the hobby has been very limited for the past year or more. Now, I've simply reached a point where I've decided that it's time for me seriously trim back my collection and put a laser focus on the limited collecting ventures that I still want to pursue! Beyond that, I'm about tapped out with my savings! I started with a decent budget, after putting all my other money (relo $ & proceeds from previous house sale) down on a new house, to buy new furniture and build a man cave... and in the past month, it's really gotten to an uncomfortably low level!

Now, don't get me wrong. I am in no way hurting. I'm not looking for charity or anything of the sorts. I'm simply sharing for 2 reasons... 1) I plan to sell off 50-60% of my collection to help pay for the remaining work to be done and to rebuild my savings account and here is a pretty good place to do some selling, and 2) I wanted to share my ongoing man cave construction efforts with the many fine folks here that might appreciate seeing this project unfold!

I will reserve this section here for stuff I'm currently selling or looking to sell, so feel free to PM me to inquire about any cards...

*********** SALES SECTION *******************
A) I will be constantly listing cards on eBay over the next year or so... my ID is 2000Explorer. So far, I have listed the contents of my Michael Jordan Basic Set, my Aaron Rodgers rookies, some extra PSA 10 Mike Trout cards, my 70's & 80's Packers PSA 10 cards, and some other miscellaneous PSA 10 rookie cards

B) Next on my list to start selling... so feel free to inquire about cards, if you don't see them on eBay yet... would be my Bryce Harper collection, my PSA 10 collection of non-rookie Aaron Rodgers cards, more Mike Trout & Albert Pujols PSA 10 extras (or non-registry-set needs), etc.

C) I do have a small number of Baseball Rookie Sets to sell, that I'd prefer to sell as the sets. I track everything in my set inventory here, specifically when I got a card and how much I spent. For these sets, I'm not looking to make money or lose money... just looking to sell them for what I put into them (knowing I'll still lose after fees & shipping). They are...

All PSA 10's (my set name is Da Yooper Collection)
Mark Grace Rookie Set - $73.50
Matt Holliday Rookie Set - $83.22
Sammy Sosa Rookie Set - $110.68
Adam Wainwright Rookie Set - $65.68

Okay, so now onto the really fun stuff... can't talk about a man cave without pictures!!!!

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I bought my new house in mid-May and started working on the basement at the end of June. It's been a long, but rewarding process. I've done the vast majority of the work all by myself, with some help from friends and family. I still need to carpet the rest of the basement area, do a little more wall-construction by the stairs, and finish the other half of the ceiling when Spring comes as I'll have to do some moving of pipes!

So, let's get to the pictures!!!

Well, when it's just block wall, you have to start with studs & insulation!

Let's hang some drywall and do some mudding!

I better put some paint on the walls... and why not install a little flooring!

I love oak... why don't I wainscot the walls too!

Time for the top trim, baseboard & outlets... and of course, it needs a ceiling & lights!

It's a man cave... I better put in a television and the bar I built from my previous house (yes, I moved it with me)!

It's my man cave... so why not display some of my favorite sports memorabilia!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Eric ... Nice to see you back. A job well done my friend. Let's see more pics when you are finished.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    That looks amazing, Eric. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product.

Good luck with your sale and Merry Christmas to you & yours!

Snorto~
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great!! My kind of man cave and thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have a High Life, please image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Very cool! coming from a home builder. I love designing basements and you did awesome work! Enjoy.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job and the memorabilia look great
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Well done!
  • Options
    looking good brother
  • Options
    I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Awesome Man Cave , great Job ...

Richard
    Have a Wood burning done of your favorite sports player, family member, pet or favorite photograph.
    PM me for details.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Awesome job. All since June. About how many hrs per week are you giving it?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Wow that looks amazing congrats on a fantastic room.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Mucho jealous on my part.!! Will you be putting up anymore
    shadowboxes? I always like to see what collectors like to feature in these.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! That makes me all the more saddened that most CA homes, including mine, don't have basements. Enjoy!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    PM Sent and what a sweet job on the basement. Glad to see a bunch of Packer stuff on the walls.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Really nice job! Wow!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    +1 for a great transaction. thanks again.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    It's been almost a year since I last posted in this thread! Still selling, but I can finally say, I'm no longer working on the basement!!! It's taken longer to complete then I expected, but I took the approach of only working on it as time & money permitted. Everything has been completed without having to go into any debt... I'm pretty proud of that! Definitely sold off some cards over the past year I still wished I owned, but the comfort in the man cave more then makes up for the loss of some valued cardboard collectibles. More pictures to come soon!!!
  • Options
    Awesome work man!!! looks great.