Home Precious Metals

Is gold useless? A POLL.

1235»

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, but are they the same 50% in each case? image Probably not.

No probably not, because that particular 50% was once only 20%.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Surveys taken in 2013 show only 47% of all Americans owning stock, with those numbers heavily skewed by 401K's with limited options. The upper 10% owned 81% of the US stock market. That number is probably higher today. Stock ownership peaked in 2002 at 67%. >>

If that %,10% own81%, is valid sure could invite possible manipulation it would seem.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for hedging against inflation but useless during hyperinflation. So I'd say somewhat useful.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good for hedging against inflation but useless during hyperinflation. >>

Those holding gold in Russia and Venezuela have done quite well with the metal.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good for hedging against inflation but useless during hyperinflation. >>

Those holding gold in Russia and Venezuela have done quite well with the metal. >>

I'd venture that those holding some gold in Russia while the ruble was dropping were probably glad they had it, but in Venezuela it may be a different story. Those that held toilet paper, canned food goods, soap, medical supplies, liquor, cigarettes and other durable goods might be making out even better than those with gold.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i> but in Venezuela it may be a different story. Those that held toilet paper, canned food goods, soap, medical supplies, liquor, cigarettes and other durable goods might be making out even better than those with gold. >>

A prudent citizen of any nation should maintain a decent store of many of those items. When fleeing to another country as many in history have had to do, diamonds and gold are a bit more portable than canned food and TP.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Surveys taken in 2013 show only 47% of all Americans owning stock, with those numbers heavily skewed by 401K's with limited options. The upper 10% owned 81% of the US stock market. That number is probably higher today. Stock ownership peaked in 2002 at 67%. >>

If that %,10% own81%, is valid sure could invite possible manipulation it would seem. >>

Of those 10%, the ones controlling the High Frequency Trading computers have a lot more influence on what prices will be any any particular day of the week. They are very efficient in causing flash crashes and peaks. The market will probably still head to where it's going in the longer term regardless of HFT's and other ploys. Those are there to ensure that the most influential of those 10% get their share NOW regardless of what long term trends may be.

I don't see any problem with having some gold during hyper-inflations. It probably worked fine in Zimbabwe and other nations in the 20th century that experienced hyper-inflations.

Barclays fined $44 MILL for manipulating gold price for up to a decade ....why bother manipulating a "useless rock" that just sits there............hmmm?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> but in Venezuela it may be a different story. Those that held toilet paper, canned food goods, soap, medical supplies, liquor, cigarettes and other durable goods might be making out even better than those with gold. >>

A prudent citizen of any nation should maintain a decent store of many of those items. When fleeing to another country as many in history have had to do, diamonds and gold are a bit more portable than canned food and TP. >>

Foreign bank accounts are even more portable. I'd be a bit nervous about fleeing a country with gold and diamonds.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy a binary question/poll like this one with two choices, yes and no. This poll had a nice twist because it looked like three choices, yes, kind of, and no, but really meant yes, pretty much yes, and no. the poll isn't really as informative as the discussion would be. Think about this one, is wine good? Yes, kind of, or no? Well, some people love wine, some think it's ok, and some hate it... just like gold. I like wine and gold, but do not love them nor hate them, they just are what they are, and are good for what they're good for. I do think it's kind of funny when the people who love wine try to argue with the people that hate wine that they're stupid or crazy or just uninformed.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think it's kind of funny when the people who love wine try to argue with the people that hate wine that they're stupid or crazy or just uninformed

Wine can protect you---keeps you from having a heart attack. I read it on the internet.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold was particularly "useful" when lowering the inventory of the GLD ETF to "assist" in pushing prices down

And the reason I state that is that the amount of silver, platinum, and palladium in their ETF's rose from 2011-2014. The inventory action in SLV is particularly divergent with GLD, especially with the price of silver having pulled back 71% vs. only 41% for gold. GLD inventory drops 40% while SLV inventory rises 12%. Doesn't pass the common sense test. Certainly the results of "free markets." image

GLD still has approx 1600 tonnes of gold in inventory vs. >19,000 tonnes in silver (1-12 ratio.....a lot closer to the 1-9 ratio reflective of both world trade and world mining).

---------------------

Armstrong is talking up some major volatility coming next week. This might correspond to all the recent talk about currency resets, rebalancings, revaluations, etc.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from HOW MUCH is not useful, that's a question we would have to ask nations who are repatriating their gold. Just how useful is it ?
    When people pay a premium above spot, at a minimum, without regard to how much over the spot price; dependent on rarity and grade, then we have to face the fact that some is more useful than other.

A wedding ring is a classic example. It doesn't have to have a very large stone in it to go up in value/cost. If the diamond is what costs so much, gold seems to be the choice of metals USED to hold it. And many a woman are wearing some fine looking rings. And likewise, many men have no qualms showing off their women showing off their rings.

That's the nitty gritty of gold. Somebody is in a mine digging for it right now, and somebody else is shaping it into a piece of art.

HE>I