Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Patriots HOF rookies - future additions?

I recently stumbled upon this set and am thinking about tackling it. It is an RC set and to qualify a player must be in the HOF and his rookie card must be with the Patriots. The only guys currently on that list are Buoniconti, Mike Haynes, Hannah and Tippett. It got me thinking, who are the likely future additions? Here is my take.

Definitely: Brady and Wilfork

Good chance: Ty Law is a finalist this year, so he could get in soon. The only other name that occurred to me is Mankins. I truly believe that Gino Cappelletti should be in the Hall, but I doubt it's going to happen.

NO: Irving Fryar, Light, Seymour, Bruschi, McGinest

Anybody I'm forgetting?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont believe so
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Of the players listed, I'd say Brady is the only lock.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Absolutely Brady, I'd like to think that Wilfork will get in as well (5x pro bowl, 1x 1st team all-pro), but the voters will have to look past the stats & realize how much he's meant to the defense over the years at the NT position. 1 more ring would help
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
  • Options
    Can't believe I forgot curtis Martin! Here are the guys in order of what I consider their likelihood of election:

Brady
    My favorite Martin
    Wilfork
    Law
    Mankins

And I have come to grips with the fact that my guy Cappelletti will be eternally stiffed.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Curtis Martin is already in the HOF. He can't be added to the Patriots set however, as the HOF does not list him as Primary Contributor to the Patriots franchise. He only played for them for 3 years. He should have been added to the Jets HOF set when he was elected a few years ago, but since these sets are now hard to find in the clutter of all the HOF sets now on the Registry, no one updates them.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I thought the only stipulations of the set were HOFers whose RC was with the Pats. Shouldn't that be the case?
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the only stipulations of the set were HOFers whose RC was with the Pats. Shouldn't that be the case? >>

No, I do not believe that is the correct usage of the set. The set is listed as "Pro Football Hall of Fame New England Patriots" and like all the other HOF Team sets in the category they consist of players who were primary contributors to that franchise during their career. This is defined by the Pro Football Hall of Fame and can be found on their website under "Hall of Famers" then "Teams". It states:

"Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in bold. In cases where a player contributed about equally and/or in a major way to two or more clubs – he is listed in bold under both clubs (ie. Gary Zimmerman is listed with both the Vikings and the Broncos as his primary teams). Hall of Famers who spent only a minor portion of their career with any club are listed under that club in normal font. "

And just as they example they used, you can find Gary Zimmerman on BOTH the Broncos and Vikings HOF team sets.

I could be wrong, but that's my understand when I look at the sets and how they are constructed. Not just the Patriots set, but all of the HOF team sets.

That being said, to answer your original question, Tom Brady is a no brainer lock. of the others you listed I believe both Ty Law and Richard Seymour will at some point also be inducted. Vince Wilfork could get there as well, but would need to see his entire career snapshot before giving a complete opinion. I also think Adam Vinatieri will at some point be elected to the HOF and will be listed as a primary Patriots contributor. All of the others I believe are long shots at best.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Thank you for the clarification, and also for adding Vinatieri's name. I don't think he's got a great chance but his name definitely belongs on the maybe list. I say seymour's prime was too short. Wilfork was certainly great longer than Seymour was. Just my take. Thanks again!

One last thing: so you're saying the Hall considers Haynes and Buoniconti to have made their primary contributions to the Pats. I would have guessed that they were more identified with the Raiders and Dolphins, respectively.

My updated list, divided into tiers this time according to deservedness

Brady
    Law & Wilfork
    Mankins, Vinatieri, Cappelletti

As I stated before, this is not to say that I think Gino WILL get in, just that I believe he already SHOULD have.
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I would add Gronk to this list, he has 5 Seasons in and has been a dominant player at the position. He is only 25 and although he had 2 shortened seasons his numbers to this point are HOF worthy. In 65 game he has 55 TD's and should continue to be dominant with Brady and then maybe Garapolo (sp).
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for the clarification, and also for adding Vinatieri's name. I don't think he's got a great chance but his name definitely belongs on the maybe list. I say seymour's prime was too short. Wilfork was certainly great longer than Seymour was. Just my take. Thanks again!

One last thing: so you're saying the Hall considers Haynes and Buoniconti to have made their primary contributions to the Pats. I would have guessed that they were more identified with the Raiders and Dolphins, respectively.

My updated list, divided into tiers this time according to deservedness

Brady
    Law & Wilfork

As I stated before, this is not to say that I think Gino WILL get in, just that I believe he already SHOULD have. >>

Hall of Famers by Franchise

Haynes and Buoniconti are listed as primary for both the teams you mentioned. Link above to verify.

Disagree on Seymour vs. Wilfork. Here is what I see:

Seymour- 7 Pro Bowls, 3 time 1st Team All-Pro, integral part of all 3 Super Bowl Winning Patriots teams.
    Wilfork- 5 Pro Bowls, 1 time 1st Team All-Pro, only has 1 Super Bowl ring (their last in 2005), and only started 6 games for the Patriots that season. Didn't even have 1 solo tackle in his only Super Bowl

IMO, Wilfork, if he retired today, would not ever even make the top 25 Semifinalists for HOF induction. He's still an active player, so maybe he can have more dominant seasons. But short of that, he won't make the Pro Football HOF. Great player for sure, but honestly just not HOF material ATM. Seymour however was considered the best 3-4end/DT in the game for a few years of his great run with the Pats. Was a HUGE part of the Pats D during their Title run, and had impacts in all 3 Super Bowls he won with them, registering multiple sacks.

Last but certainly not least...Seymour was voted 1st Team ALL DECADE by the HOF committee. He srands along side HOFer Warren Sapp as one of the 2 best DT in the entire decade. I will be shocked if he doesn't get elected to the HOF at some point.

• Options
    OK, if they don't have to have started with the Pats or be career Patriots, then I nominate Rodney Harrison as a maybe. Anybody else I'm forgetting?
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I think you are forgetting these 11 guys.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for the clarification, and also for adding Vinatieri's name. I don't think he's got a great chance but his name definitely belongs on the maybe list. >>

I think you're selling Vinateri too short, 4th all time scoring leader (should easily move into 3rd), 1st in postseason scoring, 2nd in Superbowl scoring (sandwiched between Jerry Rice and Emmitt), 4 SB rings, etc. If there's a lock among the active kickers, this is the guy. The list of NFL records he holds is impressive:

- Most postseason field goals in a career: 55
    - Most consecutive games in a single postseason with 3+ field goals: 4
    - Most points in postseason, career: 227
    - Most field goals in a single postseason: 14
    - Most field goals in Super Bowls: 7
    - Most extra points in Super Bowls: 13
    - Total points in a single postseason: 49 in 2006
    - Most field goals in a single NFL postseason game: 5 (tied with six others); achieved twice, with the Patriots vs. the Colts in the 2003–04 AFC Championship, and with the Colts vs. the Baltimore Ravens in 2006
  • Options
    What I meant was that any kicker has a hard time getting in. Certainly he's as deserving as any.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I meant was that any kicker has a hard time getting in. Certainly he's as deserving as any. >>

Hey, if they're letting punters in now, Vinnie should have no problem image
  • Options
    Had a convo with a friend and wanted to resuscitate this thread. My previous list, by tier, was this:

Brady
    Law & Wilfork

I'll add Seymour to the bottom tier.

What do you guys think of Rodney Harrison or Corey Dillon?
  • Options

<< <i>What do you guys think of Rodney Harrison or Corey Dillon? >>

Both excellent players, but neither has a shot at the HOF.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I would think Harrison has a chance.
  • Options

<< <i>I would think Harrison has a chance. >>

Only 2 Pro Bowls in 9 years suggests otherwise. It's also super tough for a safety to make the HOF for some reason.