Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Florentine Baroque Medal - Caterina Sansedoni Marsili

Bronze, 92 mm Ø

Obverse: Bust of Caterina facing right, hair braided and with pearls, and wearing an embroidered dress. Around, CATHARINA SANSEDONI MARSILI NOB · SENENSIS (Caterina Sansedoni Marsili, Sienese Noblewoman); below the bust, 1720 .

Reverse: Time, personified as a winged old man, uses a scythe to cut down three women holding, respectively, a mirror, pearls, and a crown. To the right stands Virtue, also winged, with a sun on her chest, a spear in her right hand, and a gold crown in her left. Above, in banner, NON EST VICISSITVDO (There Is No Vicissitude).

Caterina Sansedoni was a Sienese noblewoman who married Alfonso Marsili in 1707. The Marsili were an old family from Siena that had held positions at the court of Tuscany, especially in the noble guards of the Grand Dukes. The reverse design depicts the fleeting nature of earthly things, represented by the three women being struck down by Time. Virtue, however, prevails, and is not affected by the vicissitudes of time. Though unsigned, the medal has been attributed to Giovan Francesco Pieri.

Ref: Vannel-Toderi 115

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cute!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image <speechless>
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    At 92 mm that's quite a handful. Early Christmas present for yourself? Congrats on another impressive buy and write up Joe!

BTW, the portrait of Caterina looks like she's about 12 or so. Despite the obvious reference of the reverse, I wonder if there was some irony of juxaposing the young portrait with the an image of father time and the fleetingness (if that's a word) of youth. Interesting and nicely executed medal in any case.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the comments!

<< <i>At 92 mm that's quite a handful. Early Christmas present for yourself? Congrats on another impressive buy and write up Joe!

BTW, the portrait of Caterina looks like she's about 12 or so. Despite the obvious reference of the reverse, I wonder if there was some irony of juxaposing the young portrait with the an image of father time and the fleetingness (if that's a word) of youth. Interesting and nicely executed medal in any case. >>

I actually acquired this a few weeks ago, but just had a chance finally to take some (poor) images and do a quick write up. I need to look into a better camera and set up during the next year.

I think the portrait is a bit older then 12, but it definitely gives her a youthful appearance. I'm not sure if there's any specific juxtaposing in mind with having the youthful portrait; more likely just trying to flatter the patron!
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I love it. Fascinating symbolism on the reverse.
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!