Home Precious Metals
Options

What is a good buy price ...

for generic Barber quarters ? Not junk , readable and not worn thin ...

Comments

• Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Completely depends on the grade, but if we're talking about bullion value, I've only purchased at spot or a little less. If they're better condition such that they actually have some numismatic value, then maybe spot+5%.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>for generic Barber quarters ? Not junk , readable and not worn thin ... >>

Lol, all of it is junk , amazing these dimensions of junk, junk 1,2,3,4, Junk a,b,c,d,e, etc, lol...

U want uncirculated barbers now that's a different story, or better date gradeable coins that's a different story...
    They aren't in graded plastic or unc rolls, they are 99.99999999999 junk silver maybe one in a couple hundred thousand or million may be found that would qualify as legit numi ( numbers used as example not scientifically tested, lol)...

Rule of thumb u can't see all letters of liberty plainly struck, all junk silver, junk not used pejoratively but because not pure silver...
    Also edges or reeds of coin if they intact them maybe just maybe the lotto hits on 1 worth grading...

Now mind u in the bullion world right now Appiemax at 14.73x so that's like over high retail so u should be able to find some less than that...
    In the numi world they price in a different realm, all based on terms undefinable by the same 2 people and one is entering a burning ring of fire....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Oh also, never trust anyone's personal grading of raw coins especially junk silver, a must principle to go by...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    They are not collectable grades or better dates ... just wanted to put some away.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Readable and not worn thin is going to put you into a hard-to-find-at-bullion-prices category. I don't think you'll find these in bulk, and you'll have to pay premiums for them wherever you find them.

I think it would be cool to have a roll or two of decent Barber Quarters, but they've been picked over for so long that the only ones you'll find in bulk are missing about 10% of their mass.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    double post

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a nice pile of barbers available at about 40% over spot. I don't think this is a ridiculous price considering people routinely pay 15+% premiums for ASEs and some pay 50% premium for silver bars.. The "youngest" barber will soon be 100 years old. These coins are difficult to find in quantity.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Cohodk has some decent Barbers listed on BST. Take a look.

I knew it would happen.