Home Sports Talk
Options

The Kid - The Immortal Life of Ted Williams

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just finished reading Ben Bradlee JR's utterly superb book The Kid The Immortal Life of Ted Williams...all 771 pages. Amazon $25.

I was enthralled by Bradlee's writing style, and was totally captured from page to page. There were some incredible highs for Theodore Samuel, and some even lower lows. His choices and decisions in life were oftentimes bordering bizarre at best. His greatest downfall was giving his son John Henry the "keys to the kingdom" by giving him total...and I do mean t-o-t-a-l power of attorney to his life in his later years. Not to spill the beans here, but he milked the cow for every last drop the cow could give and then some!!! John Henry gave new meaning to the word GREED.

If you are indeed a well steeped Red Sox fan, or wonder anything at all about the Splendid Splinter, this is a book that will pop your eyes and also be amazed by his batting accomplishments, not to mention his 5 years of military service. Had he not been involved in both WWII and Korea in his prime, his numbers would have been "off-the-chart" high.

I still have vivid memories of seeing the Kid play in Fenway against the Yankees. I HIGHLY recommend reading this book !!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...especially to Steve in Albuquerque, NM, my good friend Paul in Salisbury, MA...and a shout out to Bar Harbor, Maine!!

Regards,
Al - mcmlvtopps

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also recommend the Williams biography by Leigh Montville or "The Summer of '49" by Halbertstam if you are interested in Ted.

Looks like his son is a BAD person!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Merry Christmas to you and your family my friend, nice to see you posting image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul...back at ya my friend. Was in Loudon, NH this past August for a few days at my brother's "farm". Had superb weather and enjoyed a side trip to Meredith to a nice restaurant on the big lake. Hopefully I can be more positive about the Red Sox this upcoming season...as you recall, I bailed early on the team and they didn't disappoint my position. I hope 2015 is much better.
    Watch out for the snowplows!! image When you wake up and see that pile of snow at the end of your driveway, think of me and smile...many a day I had to dig through that rock hard stuff to get out...I don't miss it. Life is good in GA, retirement is sweet. Take care!!!

JoeBanzai...John Henry Williams died two years after Ted of leukemia at the incredibly young age of 35...March 6th, 2004 to be exact. He too had his head cut off and frozen at Alcor in Scottsdale, AZ., just like he had done to his father...ponder that for a minute!!! The torso was frozen as well. Ted always wanted to be cremated and his ashes spread along the waters of Islamorada, FL. John Henry, being the EVIL INCARNATE son, actually thought he could sell his dad's dna at some point to make money. S%$T you can't even imagine thinking up. John Henry often boasted about being able to sign his dad's signature so well that he began to sign lots and lots of memorabilia stuff...money, that's all that piece of S*$T wanted...sad thing.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>JoeBanzai...John Henry Williams died two years after Ted of leukemia at the incredibly young age of 35...March 6th, 2004 to be exact. He too had his head cut off and frozen at Alcor in Scottsdale, AZ., just like he had done to his father...ponder that for a minute!!! The torso was frozen as well. Ted always wanted to be cremated and his ashes spread along the waters of Islamorada, FL. John Henry, being the EVIL INCARNATE son, actually thought he could sell his dad's dna at some point to make money. S%$T you can't even imagine thinking up. John Henry often boasted about being able to sign his dad's signature so well that he began to sign lots and lots of memorabilia stuff...money, that's all that piece of S*$T wanted...sad thing. >>

I had forgotten about his death. In reading the Montville bio, I was shocked at John Henry's treatment of his father and amazed at Ted's acceptance of the crap pulled by his son.

Sad story. Quite a few of the All-Time great players had sad stories after baseball.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set