Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Will Ebay allow the sale of Cuban coins again?

According to news stories, the US is finally going to drop the economic sanctions against Cuba.

Cuba made some nice coins, here is one:

Cuba Peso 1953 Jose Marti

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Si

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always liked the so-called ABC Peso

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that Diplomatic Relations with Cuba are going to be restored...

I anticipate the Ebay policy will change... for the better

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got one up now maybe it will get a boost
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont put your hands on your bum waiting, for instance Food Stamps are now legal to own and collect, but not according to fleaBay.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would they? They made the decision unilaterally. They apparently have something
    against the country and normalized relations wouldn't necessarily change this. Of course
    now they could make a tiny bit of money opening up the market so who cares about Castro
    or communism. If the US government can embrace the counterfeiting red Chinese then maybe
    eBay can embrace Cuban coinage again.

Things sure made a lot more sense before we jumped the shark.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The economic embargo is due to an act of Congress. They are in no mood to undo it.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Things sure made a lot more sense before we jumped the shark. >>

No kidding!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    There is NO chance that the embargo will be lifted by Congress anytime soon, so if and when that happens, it will probably take the Bay a couple of years to realize that this is the law of the land. They wouldn't want to be accused of doing anything pro-active to help the numismatic community. JMHO
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does "jumped the shark" mean numismatically?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    The embargo never applied to stamps or coins from Cuba issued before February 7, 1962. The purpose of the Cuban Embargo was to prevent the government of Fidel Castro from obtaining U.S. dollars to finance communism -- not to make anything and everything Cuban, illegal.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The embargo never applied to stamps or coins from Cuba issued before February 7, 1962. The purpose of the Cuban Embargo was to prevent the government of Fidel Castro from obtaining U.S. dollars to finance communism -- not to make anything and everything Cuban, illegal. >>

While this is true ebay will not allow the sale of pre Castro coins! They blanket them all so they don't have to police them.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The embargo never applied to stamps or coins from Cuba issued before February 7, 1962. The purpose of the Cuban Embargo was to prevent the government of Fidel Castro from obtaining U.S. dollars to finance communism -- not to make anything and everything Cuban, illegal. >>

While this is true ebay will not allow the sale of pre Castro coins! They blanket them all so they don't have to police them. >>

I haven't actually read the legislation but I'd wager that it doesn't affect
    the sale or trade of anything after it gets into the country either. It simply
    bans direct trade by banning exports directly to Cuba and imports from Cuba.
    I don't think the feds care if you have a coin collection so long as none of the
    coins came from Cuba. It's not like you can get mail or Fedex delivery anyway.

"Jumping the shark" is the state of having become a caricature. It is political
    correctness run amuk and schools that can't be bothered to teach. In coins
    it is an entire country with a licence to make old coins. It is Photobucket pro-
    hibiting pictures of coins from Cuba that depict endangered animals. It is UN
    agreements with other countries that make all ancient coins subject to seizure
    and return to their origin.
    Tempus fugit.