Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A coin from every century?

Just food for thought. For those who like history. Is it possible to own a coin from every century? Is this even possible?
I'm still learning myself but thought that might be an interesting project.

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    might be possible.. BUT how far back will you want to go? there has to be an end somewhere???
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin from each century is a doable project. The problem would
    be to pick a theme for the venture. Always pick the best coin with
    little if any problems that you can afford. Problem coins will haunt
    you when you decide to sell and start another project.
  • Options
    Here is a thread I started on this subject a while back. Some good info there. hope the link works.

Text

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny but I was just thinking about this the other day when I realized I was just two centuries shy (3rd B.C. & 5th A.D.) of a 'run' from the 4th century B.C. to the 6th century A.D.

I think I'll look around for 7th 8th 9th and 10th century coins this weekend and decide if a OFEC(entury) collection looks like fun.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds fun

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly possible to do. Very difficult to do well, without the appearance of too random an accumulation.

It might be fun to do with a theme of Greece, starting with electrum issues, continuing to Athenian, Macedonian, Roman issues, moving on to Byzantine, Ottoman, and modern Greek coinage.

Have no idea what kind of budget you would need for such an endeavor.

While you could put together ancient Greek coins with Roman coins, Indian coins, Middle Eastern coins, Chinese coins, European coins, American coins and make something of a "century set," it seems it might be too disorganized. Maybe would fit the "box of 20" theme (20 centuries?)
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely possible, and would be quite enjoyable. I've considered it in the past but then have fallen too deeply into ancients image

I'd be curious as to what forum members would suggest for some of the later world coins, but here are my picks for ancients:

700-601BC: Lydian trite (The first "Official" coin)
    600-501BC: Electrum hekte
    500-401BC: Athens tetradrachm
    400-301BC: Very tough to choose, as this is my favorite numismatic century, but probably something from Alexander the Great
    300-201BC: Probably an Aes Grave from Rome
    200-101BC: A broad flan tetradrachm, like a New Style Athens tetradrachm or Philip V Perseus tetradrachm
    100-0BC: Many to choose from but Julius Caesar is probably my preference
    1AD-100AD: Again, many to choose from. If Christian, a Tribute Penny would be a good choice. A coin from Augustus or Nero would also be historically interesting.
    101AD-200AD: I'd choose a coin from the Five Good Emperors
    201-300AD: A coin from Rome's Millennial Anniversary

As for the rest, I'll leave it to the other members to fill in!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not only possible but, as it turns out, it's something I've actually done, without even really trying. Except, of course, for the earliest century in SmEagle's list.

You can't go back further than the 7th century BC, because that's when "coins" as we know them were invented. You can go back further if you're prepared to expand your definition of "coin" to include primitive monies, but even these are usually difficult to narrow down a date range to a particular century.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    It actually is relatively easy. It would involve <30 coins, and most/all can be acquired for <$10 each (depending on how cheap you want to go); the earlier ones could be a bit more expensive.

I'm working on a similar collection of contemporary counterfeits from each century, continent and country/kingdom. This is a LONG-TERM project but one with great headway already.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It actually is relatively easy. It would involve <30 coins, and most/all can be acquired for <$10 each (depending on how cheap you want to go); the earlier ones could be a bit more expensive.

I'm working on a similar collection of contemporary counterfeits from each century, continent and country/kingdom. This is a LONG-TERM project but one with great headway already. >>

+1 and interesting variation. A bigger challenge for the century collection might be to focus only on non-European issues. Certainly would provide a very different "flavor" to the exercise and a real change to the typical euro-centric perspective many of us have (including me).

BTW, what were the earliest issues from sub-Sahara Africa? I know of Axum but am hard pressed to find others.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I was (perhaps still am?) seriously considering 1 dated coin per year as far back as possible (within reason, financially speaking). The only restriction would be no more than 1 coin per country/principality/state etc. That would give a nice overview of 500+ years of numismatic history.

Anyone try anything similar?

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • Options

<< <i>I was (perhaps still am?) seriously considering 1 dated coin per year as far back as possible (within reason, financially speaking). The only restriction would be no more than 1 coin per country/principality/state etc. That would give a nice overview of 500+ years of numismatic history.

Anyone try anything similar?

Auto >>

do you own this?

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=190860
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=