Home Sports Talk
Options

baseball trivia

mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
1. In 2014, the league leader in pick-off attempts had 199. How many pick-off attempts did Jon Lester have in 2014?

2. The 8 players below combined for how many 200-hit seasons?
Ted Williams
Edgar Martinez
Mark Grace
Will Clark
Roberto Alomar
Frank Thomas (the HOFer)
Ken Griffey Jr.
Carl Yastrzemski

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that the answer to both questions is zero. Too lazy to research it.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know the answer to A but answer to B is zero, illustrating again the significance of OBP% as baseball's arguably greatest hitter of all time never had 200 hits in a season.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Williams would have had at least three 200 hit seasons had the season extended to the current 162 games. His best performances were 188,193 and 194 hits in 1948, 40 and 49.

As well he missed three seasons to serve his country. Fat chance of any current MLB heroes doing such a thing.
  • Options

<< <i>Williams would have had at least three 200 hit seasons had the season extended to the current 162 games. His best performances were 188,193 and 194 hits in 1948, 40 and 49.

As well he missed three seasons to serve his country. Fat chance of any current MLB heroes doing such a thing. >>

In 1941, when he batted .406, he had 185 hits, but also led the league in walks with 174 to compile an amazing OBP% of .553. Only Barry Bonds has put up a higher single season OBP% and we all know how he did it.

The 200-hit season is just an arbitrary marker~as impressive as it sounds, it means little unless taken in context.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is that the answer to both questions is zero. >>

You are correct!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing I did not offer an guess... I am surprised that Williams and Yaz did not have a 200 hit season...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Williams would have had at least three 200 hit seasons had the season extended to the current 162 games. His best performances were 188,193 and 194 hits in 1948, 40 and 49.

As well he missed three seasons to serve his country. Fat chance of any current MLB heroes doing such a thing. >>

Williams did not want to go to Korea, but was called up. Also, there was a draft in the 40s and 50s.
  • Options

<< <i>

Williams did not want to go to Korea, but was called up. Also, there was a draft in the 40s and 50s. >>

But he went. He did not pull a Cassius Clay.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 200-hit season is just an arbitrary marker~as impressive as it sounds, it means little unless taken in context. >>

200 hits in a season is quite an accomplishment in my opinion. It means you haven't missed many games and you averaged more than a hit per game. Of course guys that walk a lot are going to have a hard time getting over 200 hits. OBP% and SLG% need to be respectable, (so I see where you say it needs to be taken into context) but 200 hits is pretty impressive, I'll take a 200 hit guy on my team anyday.

On Williams going to Korea, he was very surprised when he got called after having already served. He could have avoided it by resigning his commission after WWII, but did not. He was quite irritated that he was recalled on what he thought was a technicality. Unlike many athletes, he fought combat missions.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>The 200-hit season is just an arbitrary marker~as impressive as it sounds, it means little unless taken in context. >>

200 hits in a season is quite an accomplishment in my opinion. It means you haven't missed many games and you averaged more than a hit per game. Of course guys that walk a lot are going to have a hard time getting over 200 hits. OBP% and SLG% need to be respectable, (so I see where you say it needs to be taken into context) but 200 hits is pretty impressive, I'll take a 200 hit guy on my team anyday.

On Williams going to Korea, he was very surprised when he got called after having already served. He could have avoided it by resigning his commission after WWII, but did not. He was quite irritated that he was recalled on what he thought was a technicality. Unlike many athletes, he fought combat missions.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    oops sorry about the double post
  • Options

<< <i>oops sorry about the double post >>

Thought that you were shooting for a 200 post in a thread record.

The servers have been balky lately!
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

Would you take a guy with 204 hits over a guy with 106 hits?

My answer would be "it depends." Sure it's an extreme example, but Juan Pierre had 204 hits with an OPS+ that was far below league average (82). He had 127 runs and RBI combined. In 1950, Ted Williams had 179 runs and RBI combined despite just 106 hits!
  • Options

<< <i>Would you take a guy with 204 hits over a guy with 106 hits? >>

Always wondered what a players value would be if he hit 100 home runs in a season but struck out in every other at bat.
  • Options
    200 hits in a season is quite an accomplishment in my opinion

I didn't say it wasn't. But 200 hits and 50 walks is not better than 175 hits and 125 walks.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Always wondered what a players value would be if he hit 100 home runs in a season but struck out in every other at bat. >>

Reminds me of Dave Kingman!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the days when Kingman played at USC

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Cool Kingman card!

I recall one year almost half of his total hits were home runs, lol..

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Always wondered what a players value would be if he hit 100 home runs in a season but struck out in every other at bat. >>

Reminds me of Dave Kingman!

image >>

His at bats were truly interesting to watch. Feast or famine.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't say it wasn't. But 200 hits and 50 walks is not better than 175 hits and 125 walks. >>

Especially if he hits 35 Home Runs to go with it!

Ted Williams was an AMAZING hitter; his numbers compare with Ruth's and he played in the modern era.