Home Sports Talk
Options

Earl Anthony vs Ernie Schlegel

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Text

Academic purposes only. Watched a 229 average bowler last night and wanted to see how his game compared to bowling's greatest, Earl Anthony.

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    You can't really compare them due to the huge difference in equipment, and lane conditions.

A friend of mine averages 235 in a regular league and 170 in a Sport league. That's how big a difference lane conditions can make.
  • Options

<< <i>You can't really compare them due to the huge difference in equipment, and lane conditions.

A friend of mine averages 235 in a regular league and 170 in a Sport league. That's how big a difference lane conditions can make. >>

I can believe it. Seems like most in the league playing last night was near or above 200. I was on bowling hiatus from about 1978 until 2005. The game sure changed.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, scoring is way up in local leagues. It's not unusual to find guys averaging 230, 240 in leagues, where right now, the top pro is averaging 229 (everybody else is at 225 or below). The variety in lane conditions and intentionally more difficult setups lowers scoring for the pros. They have to do it that way. If they didn't, scoring would be ridiculous - tons of guys averaging 250 and a gazillion 300s a year.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Those guys couldn't hold a candle to Ernie McCracken:

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Any rec league or sport league bowler with a 239 average couldn't hold a candle to a legend like Earl Anthony. Lane conditions, and other restrictions make the pro game much more difficult. If you want to take this to the extreme think of golf, there are some municipal and club golfers that can shoot some pretty impressive scores. Place them on a PGA approved pro course and their scores go way up. Now put them on a course set up for the US Open like the Olympic club and afterwards they might chuck their clubs into the water. I remember a US Open where the entire field of pros all shot over par and I think the champion finished at 2 over.

So to answer your question, having a 239 average in a sport league is a very good accomplishment; but having a 239 average on the PBA tour makes you one of the best bowlers in the world. I would think there are some pro bowlers that would have averages in the 270's or 280's in a rec or sports league.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

<< <i>Any rec league or sport league bowler with a 239 average couldn't hold a candle to a legend like Earl Anthony. >>

No question. Recently got back into the game. Wish that the alleys would tighten things up, but obviously their interest is in having everyone go home with a smile.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy Chris Schenkel narrating an Earl Anthony game back when I was a little kegler.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    A sport league is comparable to the PBA conditions and locally we had one sport league for several years but it folded this year as not enough bowlers wanted to be humbled by the difficulty of the shot. That is the difference in the sport of bowling versus the game of bowling. Most house shots reward huge revolutions on the ball where sport/PBA shot requires much more accuracy. Most bowlers would rather average 230-240 and rack up their 300 and 800's. There is also a huge difference in some of the PBA shots so some pros will do consistently better on one pattern over another. I have averaged over 230 on a house condition and barely averaged 200 on the sport league. I bowled in 2 PBA regionals this summer and it really gives you an appreciation for the Pros abilities. It's a shame there is so little money for the PBA compared to the PGA but that's another story.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options

<< <i> It's a shame there is so little money for the PBA compared to the PGA but that's another story. >>

Thank you for posting. Tough to sell 10,000 tickets for a live PBA event. Had a schoolmate who joined the tour in the late 70's. Arnie Goldman. Lost touch many years ago but I recall that he won a million dollar tourney in Vegas not too many years ago.

Edit to add. It was the 1999 High Rollers tourney. Goldman's cut was $125,000. Not a bad payday but not the Masters either.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, scoring is way up in local leagues. It's not unusual to find guys averaging 230, 240 in leagues, where right now, the top pro is averaging 229 (everybody else is at 225 or below). The variety in lane conditions and intentionally more difficult setups lowers scoring for the pros. They have to do it that way. If they didn't, scoring would be ridiculous - tons of guys averaging 250 and a gazillion 300s a year. >>

To date, 24 individuals have bowled a total of 25 sanctioned 900 series. Welcome to the 900 Series Club!

I used to bowl, and I thought I wasn't all that bad. My high game is 279 (Rolled it different 4x's) and high series is 732.

Later, Paul.