Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Russia: Special Putin coins mark Crimea annexation

No politics here but its been a while since a sitting leaders issued official coins depicting themselves. Mintage of 500 my guess sold.

LINK

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No politics here but its been a while since a sitting leaders issued official coins depicting themselves. Mintage of 500 my guess sold. >>

That coin is nothing but politics.

Still, it sounds like a private issue, not an official coin. I doubt it will have much collector interest.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still, it sounds like a private issue, not an official coin. >>

+1. Seems to have been made at a "russian factory" not the mint, but often articles get details wrong.

And, despite how it is described in the article, is it a coin or a medal? It's sometimes hard to tell the diff on some NCLT things and admittedly cyrillic is not my strong suit but I don't see a denomination on it.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No denomination on this one, so I would call it a medal.
  • Options
    2.2lbs, that's not a coin, that's a hockey puck!
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2.2lbs, that's not a coin, that's a hockey puck! >>

And it has a real puckhead on it.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Russian-to-English translation, anyone?image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mintage of 500 my guess sold. >>

According to a Voice of Russia piece last April there was to be a mintage of 25 pieces individually numbered - 121mm by 11mm thick in 925 silver.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russian-to-English translation, anyone?image >>

My wife hasn't spoken Russian in awhile, but her best guess is:

Obverse: "Putin Vladimir Vladimirovich * President of Russian Federation *"

Reverse: "Acceptance of Republic of Crimea to the composition of the Russian Federation"

The words in the map feature on the reverse are the names of towns/cities in Crimea.