Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone here do anything dealing with melting silver? (I did it!! Check my last post)

I'm working on making some jewelry and as I'm waiting for my Amazon order to come in with hopefully all I will need to melt the silver, I am attempting to melt it in a stainless steel dish. When the silver is elevated (leaning on it's side, but only touching the dish at a couple of points) I can melt the silver, but as soon as it falls over itself it solidifies. This tells me that the dish is dispersing the heat too fast.

So I'm doing as much research as I can and I'm seeing that I need to use some Borax. I'm trying to find the reason why Borax lowers the melting point. That's the first thing. Does anyone know?

Secondly, if anyone else does anything in which melting silver is a priority, maybe you could share how you've done your setup? Right now I'm just using a propane torch (which will supposedly reach 2000 degrees, and I know that it CAN melt the silver, as I already have done so).

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Great topic, thank you image
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great topic, thank you image >>

You're welcome?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm working on making some jewelry and as I'm waiting for my Amazon order to come in with hopefully all I will need to melt the silver, I am attempting to melt it in a stainless steel dish. When the silver is elevated (leaning on it's side, but only touching the dish at a couple of points) I can melt the silver, but as soon as it falls over itself it solidifies. This tells me that the dish is dispersing the heat too fast.

So I'm doing as much research as I can and I'm seeing that I need to use some Borax. I'm trying to find the reason why Borax lowers the melting point. That's the first thing. Does anyone know?

Secondly, if anyone else does anything in which melting silver is a priority, maybe you could share how you've done your setup? Right now I'm just using a propane torch (which will supposedly reach 2000 degrees, and I know that it CAN melt the silver, as I already have done so).

What say you? >>

What kind of torch , a hand held? Small torches don't put out enough total heat is my bet.

• Options
    Yea it is a handheld. Through my thorough (haha) research, I'm seeing some people do this though.
  • Options
    As you can see, the silver is melting, but I think that the heat loss through the dish is the reason it won't all melt. It basically melts to this point and then hardens.

• Options

Probably a small arc furnace/crucible arrangement would work. I think you could find plans on the internet to Mcgyver up something cheaply
  • Options
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Map gas, with a ceramic crucible. Then heating the mold as well before the pour. 1600 degrees.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Map gas, with a ceramic crucible. Then heating the mold as well before the pour. 1600 degrees. >>

Link him to some of your melt threads , tniegimage
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I have a Smith acetylene and air torch system. With 4 different tips I can solder or melt sterling. (Sterling or .925 is the standard in silver jewelry. Not pure or .999)
    Flux or borax is used to pick up surface contamination and prevent further oxidation. It doesn't lower melt point.

As mentioned by others, you can get started with MAP gas which burns hotter than propane. A ceramic crucible is a must. For small melts, mine is 4" in diameter and about 1/2 in deep and is fitted with a metal attachment and wood handle.

Wear safety glasses.

Check out Rio Grand jewelry supply for tools etc.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that stainless steel dish specifically designed for:
    1: melting silver
    2: the ceramic ring, or were they purchased separately?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Re???
    Actually interested in thread, no sarcasm intended :-)

Ok, now tips on copper?
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Well so I was going to get a MAPP gas but after doing more research I think my problem is the heat loss from not having some type of enclosure to reflect the heat back rather than losing it to the air or cast iron pan below. I should have everything I need tomorrow and will attempt the melt again and post back results.

As for copper, it's melting point is 1934 Fahrenheit. So a propane torch won't be able to do that.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I think the cast iron pan is causing a big part of the problem, that pan is a big heatsink. image
    Ed
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Re???
    Actually interested in thread, no sarcasm intended :-)

Ok, now tips on copper? >>

f

Melts and castings are done with bronze. This uses a large carbon/graphite crucible in a furnace. The pour is done in a sand cast or lost wax for smaller castings.

Copper melts are usually done for recycle.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How'd the bronze agers do it? And without furnaces, graphite crucibles, steel tongs and splash guards?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How'd the bronze agers do it? And without furnaces, graphite crucibles, steel tongs and splash guards? >>

Yo, Cladking!
  • Options

<< <i><< How'd the bronze agers do it? And without furnaces, graphite crucibles, steel tongs and splash guards? >> >>

It looked pretty easy when Humphrey Bogart fixed the Africa Queens propeller and shaft in the jungle. image
    Ed
  • Options
    Well I have received everything in the mail that I ordered, so hopefully I can post some results for melting and making something out of silver. I will let you all know.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please do, I've always wanted to do this myself someday.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>please do, I've always wanted to do this myself someday. >>

Oh, I will. I have a dealft clay mold of a cross ready to roll as soon as I can melt!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gecko109 melted bars and sold them here, he had a video posted.
  • Options
    I did it I did it!! Made my first couple of silver pieces. It was a great experience, and I plan on doing some more tomorrow AM.

Here's the molten silver. .999 bars.

And here's what I made. I love the kind of not production look. Looks like amateur hour (which it is) and I love that look more than anything! Check out this engagement ring (haha, jk)

And here are the two final products

Please let me know what you think!

Steve
  • Options
    Looks like fun!

Did getting away from the iron pan help?
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like fun!

Did getting away from the iron pan help? >>

Nope. Tried it in a ceramic crucible and still failed.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, that looks like fun !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work! Like the rustic look of the finished products.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Congrats on getting something you like out of this.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest a cobalt blue nail polish to really make the ring pop! image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Made this tonight