Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPS: More Apollonian Cows

Hello All. I received three cows in the mail yesterday and I was very excited!

All are Apollonian by descent, so they have come a long way. From the information available on Wildwinds, I have counted 33 varieties of this type of coin. So far, I have seven. For some reason these little cows really grab me and they are definitely in the range of affordable ancient silver. The vast majority of these coins appear to be dated from after 229 BC. For those of you not in the know, Apollonia is a city in Illyria, on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea, in present day Albania. (Ilir is a common Albanian name, by the way.) Early Greek and Corinthian colonists settled there and it became an important part of the sea trade. I'm still learning more, but I do like collecting these different moneyers/magistrates. (The texts I have seen do not seem to differentiate between the two titles, really.)

We will start with my 2200 year old namesake, NIKANDROS.

Followed by TIMHN.

And finally, XENOKLHS.

Sorry the pictures are sucko. I will eventually try to take better ones. Considering how excited I get when these coins arrive, it is frankly surprising that I can actually sit down and take pictures and load them up at all.

Comments