Home Sports Talk
Options

Ever dunk a basketball?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Legit 10 foot basket, no chair or trampoline.

Came close 35 years ago when I was a distance runner and had some jump. Never quite made it though.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope not me. White men can't jump.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Legit 10 foot basket, no chair or trampoline.

Came close 35 years ago when I was a distance runner and had some jump. Never quite made it though. >>

Used to be able to dunk a softball.......Now, not so much

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Short answer is no.

I peaked at about age 25. I used to play a lot at a school that was about a 9 1/2 foot rim on one end of the court. I could squeeze one down on occasion and definitely was "at" the rim a lot. At that time I could touch a 10 foot rim but never dunked. I currently have adjustable hoops in my yard. If I get them low enough I can dunk it! image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Yes, 3 times. This would be back in 1987 when I was at Ft. Benjamin Harrison in Indiana. I was cross training into Public Affairs and had been sent to the Defense Information School there to go to journalism school. Something about the air in basketball-mad Indiana - I was in the post's gym and was able to elevate enough to get 3 one-handed dunks in. Nobody was there to see it, but it happened nonetheless.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly no... just donuts.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Im too short. I would get a fingertip on the rim once every 20 tries or so LOL
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Too many times to remember.

First time was when I was 15. Last time was when I was in my 30's.

Of course it since I am 6'6" tall, since I can reach up to 8'5" standing flat footed, and since (when I was 18-24 I had a vertical jump of about 37" [thus I could reach to about 11' 6" or a foot and one half above the 10' rim] it was easy. Dunking alone was easy and I had a variety of throw downs. Dunking in a game was not so easy (expect on a breakaway) but it was always more fun, especially when a defender got posterized.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could quasi-dunk in HS, but most would have registered in the 0-.5 range in a contest. If getting your hand on the rim was all it took, I was golden. Unfortunately, I quickly found out that the degree of difficulty heightened when a pumpkin was involved.

Fast forward to my early 30s. Tried to go all Chocolate Thunder in a pickup game. Damn near ended up in the ER.

Hasta la vista, hops!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would get a fingertip on the rim >>

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

DAMN YOU!!! I should have known! bwahahahahaha!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I hope you washed your hand, Charlie Brown! image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im too short. I would get a fingertip on the rim once every 20 tries or so LOL >>

Me too. About 50 years ago when I was about 6' tall.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nope not me. White men can't jump. >>

I'm with ya on that one Matt! At least THIS white man can't!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nope not me. White men can't jump. >>

I'm with ya on that one Matt! At least THIS white man can't!!! >>

I recall in 8th grade we were required to attempt a 5 foot pole vault. Not even close and I think I set back my development by a couple of years. image
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I boom-shakalaka owned my nephews fisher price basket.
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Yes
    10 out of our 15 high school roster could
    5'11 to 6'8 players (I was 6'4)
    All white school buffalo grove, Illinois
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nope. I'm 5'9" and never had the vertical to do it Spud Webb style image. I never played organized basketball, just pickup games in my youth. Now I wouldn't play for fear of tearing a knee ligament (partially tore the left one 17 years ago playing beach volleyball).
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    No, but I ran a 4.5 40 in high school.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    There was a couple of years around age 19-21 I could dunk a basketball. I'm only 6'1" but palming a basketball was never a problem so that helped.

I can still palm a basketball with no problem, but I'd be lucky to grab the net 20 years later.

Shawn
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Yep. I'm 6'1". Back in high school, college. Now I'm carrying a little more weight. image
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image