Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help identifying another newp

I won this in the recent CNG eAuction. Here is what they wrote in the lot description:

ANGLO-SAXON, Secondary Sceattas. Circa 735-745. AR Sceat (12mm, 1.16 g, 2h). Series S, type 47. Mint in Essex. Female centaur standing right, holding palm fronds / Four wolves’ heads in clockwise circle, tongues forming whorl. Abramson 68.10 var. (obv. type left); SCBI 63 (BM), 729-32 var. (same); Metcalf 440; North 121 var. (obv. type left); SCBC 831 var. (same). Good VF, hint of light porosity. Very rare variety with obverse type right.

However, looking in my 2014 edition of the Spink book, I think this is a variant of S-814 (centaur standing left, not right), not S-831. Can anyone else please offer an opinion? Or, did Spink catalog numbers get re-arranged again? BTW, this coin looks like it's been dug up and curated long ago, as the silver color seems to have a mellowed look to it. Nevertheless, I will put this in a paper envelope and let it mellow some more.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the numbers got jumbled. I have a 2011 spink, and it shows S-814 as the new number for this coin with the old number (831) in parentheses. A lot of the sceats seem to have been renumbered in this edition.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like the numbers got jumbled. I have a 2011 spink, and it shows S-814 as the new number for this coin with the old number (831) in parentheses. A lot of the sceats seem to have been renumbered in this edition. >>

Ah - thanks. That makes sense.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.

It looks like a combination of Abramson 68.10 and 68.80

Has the same spiky haired head as 68.80, which I don't see on other types of the variety.

Abramson lists 68.80 as extremely rare, though few collect these by sub-variety.

Here's an in-depth article about the Series S sceats from BNJ:
    Female centaur or sphinx?
    It also gives a little glimpse into the history of categorizing these otherwise not so easily organized coins with widely differing motifs and no identifying portrait, date, or name.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the BNJ link. I've always wondered how they knew that facing head was Wodan.