Home Precious Metals

Free lesson of what not to do

We always like to brag a bit about our good sales, this is not that image
Personal example here...don't EVER sell a partial Set of something on eBay, or if you're going to, don't be honest and present it that way.

If I had taken the time to list these individually I know wI would've gotten at least $23-25/round, but because I was lazy, and honest I basically gave away a free oz of silver.

My free lesson to you of what not to do
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you saved $ shipping them all together. Nice feedback, congrats on being a good seller.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay is so unpredictable. Sometimes sucks to be a seller. (but as a buyer, those are the deals we all look for!)
    ----- kj
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    At least you saved $ shipping them all together. Nice feedback, congrats on being a good seller.

Shipping isn't an issue with me on eBay, I charge exactly what it costs + the 10% eBay takes for charging for shipping. I fgure the buyer can factor that in, it's usually only a few bucks. Thank you for the fb compliment too, I appreciate that. image

Ebay is so unpredictable. Sometimes sucks to be a seller. (but as a buyer, those are the deals we all look for!)

Exactly. Have been on the flip side too...I guess it all evens out over time lol.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After expenses, how can it be worth the time and effort to sell an ounce of silver for $18.50 unless one is trying to build goodwill?
    theknowitalltroll;
    After expenses, how can it be worth the time and effort to sell an ounce of silver for $18.50 unless one is trying to build goodwill?

I think you may be forgetting at least one key factor in it all...how much the seller is into what is being sold image
    I never said I lost anything, I said I didn't get what the market brings if I would've taken the time to do them individually. After all said and done basically giving away a free oz I lost $3 from what I had in them. Had I taken the time to do them the right way, I would've been in the black about $25-30 depending on what they would've actually gone for.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After expenses, how can it be worth the time and effort to sell an ounce of silver for $18.50 unless one is trying to build goodwill?

I think you may be forgetting at least one key factor in it all...how much the seller is into what is being sold image
    I never said I lost anything, I said I didn't get what the market brings if I would've taken the time to do them individually. After all said and done basically giving away a free oz I lost $3 from what I had in them. Had I taken the time to do them the right way, I would've been in the black about $25-30 depending on what they would've actually gone for. >>

I didn't forget, I was talking in more general terms. If one buys a roll of 2014 ASEs for $380 [$19 per coin cost] and sells them one at a time on eBay for $24 shipped, is it really worth the effort after expenses? Even if you got your bar for $12 it's a PITA to sell on eBay IMO.
    theknowitalltroll;
    Agreed on PITA=eBay, but little deals add up. As I've said from the very beginning since I've been here, it's a hobby for me. Something I enjoy doing and make a few bucks here and there.
    I know alot of hobbies that all they do is cost the person money, at least I make some doing this...and most importantly, I enjoy it...except for when I leave money on the table like I did with this one because I was lazy.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might have done better by listing it as a buy it now with what you wanted to get
    LCoopie = Les
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy now with a flickering best offer .
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    because I was lazy, and honest I basically gave away a free oz of silver.

There's a difference between lazy vs. expedient. Sometimes expediency matters.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Over the years I've come to realize that there is some "metagame" to Ebay auctions and buy it nows. Often when you have an auction go for dirt cheap, it will bring attention to your other listings. Which tends to increase the sale prices of other auctions, have people buy more of your BIN items.

I am sure anyone who does much volume on Ebay has had auctions end at below melt or even face value. If there were never any deals to be had, the pool of buyers would quit surfing ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich has always been a straight-up
    seller, so it doesn't surprise me that
    he would also continue this on the
    bay. Great job !!! image
    Timbuk3