Home Sports Talk
Options

Miller signs with the yankees, Henry flies to Atlanta but loses out on Lester

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
to meet with Lester for the 2nd time on Saturday. Sounds like he is serious about trying to get him signed.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good money for a set up guy, nine million per year!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>good money for a set up guy, nine million per year! >>

In New York, that is like 7 corned beef sandwiches.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>good money for a set up guy, nine million per year! >>

In New York, that is like 7 corned beef sandwiches. >>

considering city tax, state tax, federal tax (and is there a borough tax?), he will be lucky to be able to afford those sandwiches!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing better than a Carnegie Deli corned beef and pastrami sandwich!

And from my experience, prices are higher in Boston than NY anyway!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The calories in that baby!
  • Options
    I guess things are heating up.
  • Options
    Cubs or Giants for Lester is the latest report
  • Options
    The ideal park for him would be with the Giants.

The Red Sox will be fine without him as some of those young pitchers will step up.

Nobody is worth 140 to 150 million dollars.

Pitchers are only one pitch away from throwing out their arm.
  • Options

<< <i>The ideal park for him would be with the Giants.

The Red Sox will be fine without him as some of those young pitchers will step up.

Nobody is worth 140 to 150 million dollars.

Pitchers are only one pitch away from throwing out their arm. >>

so much money in MLB (and NFL) due to television contracts that it is Monopoly Money to them.

The Sox would need to trade for a one or two starter if they fail to sign Lester. Or sign Shields as a number two.
  • Options
    twitterverse says Lester down to Cubs or Red Sox...
  • Options
    one factor postulated by Ken Rosenthal:

<< <i>One problem for #SFGiants, #Dodgers in pursuit of Lester. Higher state income tax in California. Need to be millions above #Cubs, #RedSox. >>

• Options
    ouch, Henry must be butt-hurt right now: Liverpool got knocked out of the Champions League today. Hope bad things don't come in threes...
  • Options
    Lester to Cubs. Six years, $155 million
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lester to Cubs. Six years, $155 million >>

Looks like a few renovations at Wrigley will have to be put on hold, shelling out that kind of coin.
    Gonna' be a buzz on the north side this spring.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    He will do well in the national league with no designated hitter.

Good bye and good luck John.

There was not much question you were leaving because you sold your house here .

I guess he liked the crime laden city of Chicago better than Boston.

I guess that is the end of the chicken and beer parties in the clubhouse as he was the last member.
  • Options
    I agree with the Sox. They went over their budget in extending a six year offer at more than $22M per year, a good faith offer if there ever was one. But do you want a 37-38 year old guy making $26M? Just because he is a good pitcher doesn't mean it is time to get stupid. I do expect the team to get one or two quality starters soon.
  • Options
    Signing Lester for that kind of money is really stupid but what do you expect when the guy that signed him was responsible for some pretty stupid signing's in Boston when he was here.

I am glad the Red Sox lost him.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Price was too high, and I doubt he will be worth that kind of money for 6-7 years, even if he stays healthy, which is a question given his medical history.

But I can't blame him for taking the Cubs with that much money - he and his family are set for life.

Let's see how well he does in a division with the Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, and Brewers.
    Capecards
  • Options
    just goes to show you that all the crap Lester said about not chasing the money and instead going to where he was comfortable was a load of BS. He chased the money. I forget one of the exact quotes, but it was along the lines of "twenty million difference is not going to be a big deal or a difference maker" -- image

I don't blame anyone for chasing the money, just please don't lie to us about it.
  • Options
    The Giants are supposed to have offered him more money but I find that hard to believe. The owners are at fault for giving out that kind of money and are ruining baseball. I don't blame the players for taking it because it is there to be taken. I too feel that he was very overpaid for at least 3 of the 6 years he signed for.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭

<< <i>The Giants are supposed to have offered him more money but I find that hard to believe. The owners are at fault for giving out that kind of money and are ruining baseball. I don't blame the players for taking it because it is there to be taken. I too feel that he was very overpaid for at least 3 of the 6 years he signed for. >>

The problem with taking a Giants or Dodgers deal would have been the high state income tax in California.

Wondering, why are we not hearing about Max Scherzer? Why all the focus on Lester in the media; isn't Scherzer considered a better pitcher?
    Capecards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Giants are supposed to have offered him more money but I find that hard to believe. The owners are at fault for giving out that kind of money and are ruining baseball. I don't blame the players for taking it because it is there to be taken. I too feel that he was very overpaid for at least 3 of the 6 years he signed for. >>

The problem with taking a Giants or Dodgers deal would have been the high state income tax in California.

Wondering, why are we not hearing about Max Scherzer? Why all the focus on Lester in the media; isn't Scherzer considered a better pitcher? >>

Max is a Boras client. Boras generally likes the market to be established (which it now is) so he can spin his client for more money. And if you listen to Boras on Scherzer, he's the best since Cy Young!