Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pro Set Holograms

I have several of the 92 Golf Hogan holograms, and when reviewing for potential sub-worthiness realized that the backs are oriented in two different directions, rotated 180 degrees. Do any of the other holos (Lombardi, Palmer, Cup) exhibit this? All cards are correctly aligned on the front when scanned, scan shows backs when flipped over R/L.

All of my Palmer holos align consistently and I think I only have one Lombardi.

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure on the answer to your question, but wanted to point out there is also the Pro Set NHL 75th Anniversary holo as well. Best chance is find whatever listings are on ebay and hopefully the sellers included backscans to compare.

• Options

Just noticed there was a Pro Set Winston Cup hologram as well.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure on the answer to your question, but wanted to point out there is also the Pro Set NHL 75th Anniversary holo as well. Best chance is find whatever listings are on ebay and hopefully the sellers included backscans to compare. >>

Yeah, but back scans aren't that common and when they are there are usually rotated on these so the text is legible without twisting your neck (like the few holos on COMC). Graded one's would show alignment, but rarely pop up to do any comparisons.
  • Options

I think you'll have to make it a long-term research project. Open up an excel file, and record the orientation for the ones that are available, and maybe after a few months you'll have enough data to answer your question. Be sure to record the cert number too, in case you see the same ones repeatedly. Currently, there is one Palmer and one Stanley Cup in PSA slabs listed on ebay, and one ended item of the Lombardi card. There's also one BGS Lombardi and one BCCG Palmer, but neither of those have back scans.

• Options

<< <i>I think you'll have to make it a long-term research project. Open up an excel file, and record the orientation for the ones that are available, and maybe after a few months you'll have enough data to answer your question. Be sure to record the cert number too, in case you see the same ones repeatedly. Currently, there is one Palmer and one Stanley Cup in PSA slabs listed on ebay, and one ended item of the Lombardi card. There's also one BGS Lombardi and one BCCG Palmer, but neither of those have back scans. >>

Thanks, I was just hoping someone here might have already done the research image I've got a saved search already, but will have to start cataloging.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The Emmitt Smith 1992 versions, ES1-ES4 are impossible to find in high grade. Only threes 9's and zero 10's total.
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Great thread . got all my holograms out here is what I have and how the backs are oriented .
    3 - 1990 Lombardi trophy hologram . backs have the same orientation , with the numbers on the left side.
    1 - 1990 Stanley cup hologram numbered oriented on the left side .
    5 - 1991 pro set hockey 75th anniversary hologram backs have the same orientation , with the numbers on the right side .
    4 - 1991 Arnold Palmer hologram not numbered , orientation to the left side.
    6 - 1991 pro set Winston cup trophy hologram , 5- cards numbered oriented on left side , 1- card numbered oriented to the right side.
    3 - 1992 Ben Hogan hologram 2- cards numbered oriented to the right side, 1- card oriented to the left side .
    3 - 1992 Pro set Winston cup champion hologram , numbers oriented on the left side.
    6 - 1992 Pro set promo cover hologram , numbered at the bottom back . 1- card not numbered .
    12-1992 Pro set NHRA trophy hologram , all cards numbered oriented left side. blue and white border combined .
    3 - 1993 Pro set finish line racing , Driver of the year Davey Allison , 1- card not numbered , 2 - cards oriented to the left side , 1 - card oriented to the right side .
    very interesting results I had never really noticed this before. anyone have anything similar to offer?

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options

<< <i>Great thread . got all my holograms out here is what I have and how the backs are oriented .
    3 - 1990 Lombardi trophy hologram . backs have the same orientation , with the numbers on the left side.
    1 - 1990 Stanley cup hologram numbered oriented on the left side .
    5 - 1991 pro set hockey 75th anniversary hologram backs have the same orientation , with the numbers on the right side .
    4 - 1991 Arnold Palmer hologram not numbered , orientation to the left side.
    6 - 1991 pro set Winston cup trophy hologram , 5- cards numbered oriented on left side , 1- card numbered oriented to the right side.
    3 - 1992 Ben Hogan hologram 2- cards numbered oriented to the right side, 1- card oriented to the left side .
    3 - 1992 Pro set Winston cup champion hologram , numbers oriented on the left side.
    6 - 1992 Pro set promo cover hologram , numbered at the bottom back . 1- card not numbered .
    12-1992 Pro set NHRA trophy hologram , all cards numbered oriented left side. blue and white border combined .
    3 - 1993 Pro set finish line racing , Driver of the year Davey Allison , 1- card not numbered , 2 - cards oriented to the left side , 1 - card oriented to the right side .
    very interesting results I had never really noticed this before. anyone have anything similar to offer? >>

Well, you can see my 5 Hogan's. I have 4 Palmers (all left) and 1 Lombardi (# on left also) to add to the list.
  • Options

4+ year bump. On the Hogan at least, I have found no correlation between orientation and numbering. Some other potentially interesting discoveries:

• I haven't seen any cards numbered above the low 3000s (out of 5K) IIRC, there was something similar with the Lombardi where numbers above a certain point had never been seen.
    • There are quite a few of these out there without numbering at all, so I'm not sure if they quit numbering at some point during the print run or these were backdoored (or a combo of the two)

Always interested if anyone has other details on these.