Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Announcing my First Book - "The Art and Science of Grading Coins"

Many of you who have been on the NGC forums have seen my series of What You Need To Know posts about grading. I walked through each component of grading, talking about the scientific and technical aspects, and tried to balance that with the subjectivity and art of grading. After I completed the series, I had several people mention that I should expand it and turn it into a book.

Well, now I have.

After a journey of over 5 years, I have finally completed it. The book is self-published by CreateSpace, owned by Amazon. Copies are available for order now.

You can find a link here: The Art and Science of Grading Coins

Take a look and tell me what you think - I am incredibly proud of this effort.

Special thanks go to James Garcia and Roger Burdette, who proofread early rough drafts and provided significant amount of help, encouragement, and feedback. I also want to thank Bob Campbell, who took a lot of the pictures.

Comments

• CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Gratz, looks like a good price , something that we usually pay for over time , good grading comes with experience, mess ups, lessons learned and common mistakes , easily worth $20
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, I may get a copy
    at that price !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow very nice you should be proud. Great price also.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice book.

BTW, why does the listing give a publication date of Sep 2013? Is that just part of the process? Actually writing one that makes it into print is a feat.
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• physicsfan314physicsfan314 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a nice book.

BTW, why does the listing give a publication date of Sep 2013? Is that just part of the process? Actually writing one that makes it into print is a feat. >>

I think Sep 2013 is when I started working with that website. That's probably the day that I created the title - and it took me this long to get it proofread, edited, formatted, and finished to my satisfaction.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great read and reference book! Just ordered a copy.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put this on my Christmas list!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

I'm listed on Amazon now! What I don't understand is how there are already sellers listing my book, both New and Used....

The Art and Science of Grading Coins - on Amazon

I would really appreciate it if those of you who purchased my book could write a review on Amazon and rate the book (when you get it).
    good question BATMAN, should give them a call on the telefono
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great read for the holidays.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a copy last Sunday.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
    What are the rules for bumping threads here? Once per day?
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Yes, once a day is acceptable.
    Other folks bumps are a bonus, like this!
    Nice book, on my Amazon wish list for the kids. they never know what to get me-LOL!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
    Buy your copy now, so that it will be here before Christmas. image
    Thanks you guys!

Because of y'all, I have cracked the top 100 in the "Coins and Medals" category on Amazon! I am currently at position 98 image

I would appreciate it if you guys could review the book on Amazon when you get a chance.
  • Order your copies now to make sure they get here before Christmas.

This book would make an excellent gift!
  • The book is selling well, thanks to you guys.

If anyone has time, please write a review on Amazon (or here on the forums). I appreciate your feedback.
    any chance @ a signed copy direct?
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• The book is print-on-demand - I don't actually have any copies. They print a copy when you order a copy.

If you will be at FUN, I can try and meet up and sign it for you there.
  • splitacessplitaces Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Just purchased your book on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it...
  • Bump for the first day of winter: it is really nice to read a good book, with cup of hot tea, in front of the fireplace while it's snowing outside. All you need is to get the book image

The Art and Science of Grading Coins
  • I'm guessing there won't be too many people around tonight, but here's a bump for Christmas Eve.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Just purchased book! Good luck and Merry Christmas
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I will buy a copy, does anyone know if you have Prime do you get free shipping on this? Thanks
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

• << <i>I think I will buy a copy, does anyone know if you have Prime do you get free shipping on this? Thanks >>

My understanding is that yes, you do. I don't have Prime so I don't know for sure.
    Is your numismatic New Year's Resolution to learn to grade coins better? Do you want to understand all of the elements that go into grading? Are you just looking for a new coin book to read? Well - check out my new book!

Here's a Post-FUN bump. If you want a good book to read to get you through those long winter nights, check out mine!
  • Just a quick bump. I hope you are all enjoying the book! If so, please recommend it to your friends. Thanks!
  • Not sure what to get your sweetheart for Valentine's Day? Surprise them with a fantastic coin book!
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the book. Worth the money!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
    Many people have been enjoying the book. If you haven't gotten your copy yet, pick one up now!

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how I missed this post all this time. I may have to pick this up just to see how well the whole Amazon print on demand thing works. Hopefully more numismatic authors will follow this route.

JH