Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the lowest grade 1950 D nickel you've seen?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
VF? Any make it that far?

Comments

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    While not likely to be the lowest grade 50-D reported here, I did find two VF 50-D Jefferson nickels in circulation back in the 1980's when I was attempting to complete a set entirely from circulation. I eventually completed the set, with the 1944-S being the last (and most difficult) coin
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking back around f-15 to right at a 20.

It was in a big bag of nickels that a guy brought it long time back. I remember thinking this has got to be the lowest 50-d I have ever seen

jim
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a nice high end VF in circulation in 1964.

The worst I ever saw was a very low end VF in a collection I bought in the '80's.
    Tempus fugit.
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I've personally never looked for one in circulation. However, I am going to take one of my few uncirculated examples and get it circulating! We need to get rid of some of the 1950-Ds sitting around, as they really aren't worth squat. Just because there were 2.6 million minted, which is a small run, there are still 2.5 million uncirculated examples, which is a bunch! So, let's circulate some of these dogs!
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 raw BUFS ones some years back for like 8 bucks each and a nice VF one also paid 8 bucks (didn't want it sticking out in my
    childhood blue Whitman image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Owned one, sent it to PCGS and it returned VG08.

peacockcoins

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowest grade I found (in 1962) would slab "genuine". A high-end VF damaged by a nail hole in the obverse field, received in change from a vending machine.

<< We need to get rid of some of the 1950-Ds sitting around, as they really aren't worth squat. >>

Don't do that, I'll pay you double face! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is so worn that I can't read the date. But the rims look right. . . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a VG I found in change.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever seen a really nice 50-D. Was the strike on these mediocre at best?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>I don't think I've ever seen a really nice 50-D. Was the strike on these mediocre at best? >>

On average they were pretty mushy. Also, I heard rumors back in the 1960s that there were quite a few counterfeits around, which probably did not have to be of exceptional quality to pass as genuine.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to pick these circs up just for fun, usually with a comment to the dealer on the bourse that the circulated 1950-D is the rarest standard issue coin in US history (yes, tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, not serious, obviously to gain a chuckle from the dealer). They have been $5 - $7, and I have 5. One is an AU, two are XF, one if VF, and I believe one could challenge VG. Pat's VG8 made me think. I guess I've done dumber things with $25, but maybe I should send it on for fun.

I think these are fun coins. Obviously a few made it into legitimate circulation. My VF and the VG certainly got hammered out there a while. Interesting to think of how many hands they went through during that 1950-D and roll-fever craze -- with no one picking it out of circulation.

Drunner

<< <i>I like to pick these circs up just for fun, usually with a comment to the dealer on the bourse that the circulated 1950-D is the rarest standard issue coin in US history (yes, tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, not serious, obviously to gain a chuckle from the dealer). >>

Actually, there is another contender for that title: The 1960 Philadelphia small date cent.

About 2 million were made. Evidently they were all scooped up by knowledgeable collectors/investors/speculators/insiders. I lived on the east coast in the early 60's and *never* found a circulated one in change or in rolls or bags of cents (found plenty of 60-D's though). And I was actively looking at the time. What's more, I have never seen a circulated one offered for sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file