Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Sportsflics

I know in general my cards from the 80s (when I was a kid) aren't worth anything, but I'm home for the holiday and I'm surprised how many of these Sportsflics cards I have. Does anyone collect these today? Even in player sets? Any ones worth keeping? Has anyone even heard of them? Thanks.

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Does anyone collect these today? Even in player sets? Any ones worth keeping? Has anyone even heard of them? Thanks. >>

Sure. Player collector's go after all cards of their favorite guy. I have a bunch graded in my sets.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    LOL. I must've been bitten by the same bug as you. I recently discovered and then recalled that I put together a complete 87 set from packs. I can only assume I got tired of ripping Topps, Donruss and Fleer...or maybe they were cheaper...or maybe just maybe I thought the movement was really cool.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I was always partial to the artist's proof versions. Something about the gold and black stamp gave me that special feeling lol
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I loved those cards, thought it was going to be the new norm in cards.. thought they were amazing, still kinda do
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them and have the necessary Larkins. There's a ton of Pete Rose one's as well that I think are pretty heavily collected.
  • Thanks everyone for the replies. My friend and I had actually lost the bug from putting together early 80s Topps sets, but we really liked these when we saw them. And here is how naive we were.... we noticed the price guide listings on these cards were high. I think they came 3 in a pack and if you looked up your cards in the price guide, they were worth more than the price of the pack. We thought we were making a profit!
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Sportflics was the only set to catch Barry Larkin and Mike Greenwell in 1986.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BIG SIX rookies with Greenwell, Tartabull, and Canseco was such a dope card back in the day. Have my old one on my desk propped up on a book just for flavor. Brings back great memories. When I was 10 that card was the bomb.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• I am collecting the sets in psa holders
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I have a few of the approx. 4.5 inch Sportflics discs. My Bo Jackson collection, which I sold, had I think all of the cards featuring him.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I did not like the first few years because they used kind of a three random pictures on the card that did not really flow together. I think 1990 was the first year that the card had three pictures that showed full motion of the player.

• Any chance anyone has a Dale Murphy and/or Ryne Sandberg 1987 4.5" Superstar Disc they'd be willing to part with?
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The BIG SIX rookies with Greenwell, Tartabull, and Canseco was such a dope card back in the day. Have my old one on my desk propped up on a book just for flavor. Brings back great memories. When I was 10 that card was the bomb. >>

Agreed! Still buy them when I find them. image Never come across the variation card though, and I probably own 200 of them.

And 1986 Sportflics Rookies is a great set IMO. As mentioned, its got what is really an XRC Larkin, as well as all the other RC's from them 86-87 era. If you look carefully, you can pick them up at shows for $2-3 a set. How can you beat that?!?!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I have the 1994 Rookie/Traded Artist's Proof baseball set, working on having a PSA graded set as well. Recently hit the 50% slabbed mark with a ARod 10.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

• << <i> 1986 Sportflics Rookies is a great set IMO. As mentioned, its got what is really an XRC Larkin, as well as all the other RC's from them 86-87 era. If you look carefully, you can pick them up at shows for $2-3 a set >>

Love the BO XRC from that set.