Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Hidden Certification Numbers??

I was checking out some registry sets on the PCGS website today and noticed something that I don't understand.

Why do some of the registry set owners "block out" the coin's certification numbers when posting pictures on the site? One set of absolutely gorgeous coins had the certification numbers "blocked" with DUCT TAPE!! DUCT TAPE, my friends.

I found one set of "blocked" certification numbers especially interesting. . . The poster didn't mind that the GPS track on his/her phone was on when he posted the pictures but he had those cert numbers blocked!!

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was checking out some registry sets on the PCGS website today and noticed something that I don't understand.

Why do some of the registry set owners "block out" the coin's certification numbers when posting pictures on the site? One set of absolutely gorgeous coins had the certification numbers "blocked" with DUCT TAPE!! DUCT TAPE, my friends.

I found one set of "blocked" certification numbers especially interesting. . . The poster didn't mind that the GPS track on his/her phone was on when he posted the pictures but he had those cert numbers blocked!! >>

Why?

Silly insecurities is why.

I recall a time when folks would hijack cert numbers off of ebay or heritage auction listings and build high grade registry sets. Of course that wouldn't apply in this scenario since the coins are already registered to an owner and a cert number cannot be registered to two different owners.

Fear of the Chinese creating counterfeit coins with counterfeit cert numbers? Fairly unfounded fear since anybody with a PCGS CC Member account can view darned near any shared submission. Heck, even non-members can bring up the Cert Verification page and start punching in numbers.

I have no idea why folks continue to do these weird little things for their weird little reasons and Duct Tape seems to be the weirdest! They just do this stuff in the belief that they are being proactive.

On the positive side, at least the set is "visible". A lot of the top registry sets don't even make the contents of the sets viewable to the public.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago people would take the certs from eBay and plug them into their sets.
    Their excuse was always "I wanted to see what would happen if I upgraded"

I've sold a few where the buyer had the problem and PCGS would fix it.

But since they added the "What if I upgraded" option to the Registry, people don't have to steal cert numbers off eBay