Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Topps Football Paul Hornung PSA 9 Mile High....

PSA 9 Hornung

I remember earlier this year an example of this card in this grade sold for a huge number. I just checked and the SMR shows it sold for $50,323.

Is this the same card?

It will be interesting to see what this one fetches.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    here's a link to a recent thread, Dave. i did mention you. image

'57 Topps Hornung PSA 9 discussion

the sale is not currently documented in VCP sales history, however. maybe someone else can come on over and enlighten us.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why I couldn't find that when I searched. Thanks for posting it. I will check it out when I get back from the gym.
  • Options
    tell Hans and Franz i said hi.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    if it is the same one, sure makes me skeptical of that last auction
  • Options

<< <i>tell Hans and Franz i said hi. >>

They said hello.

Auction results

It looks like it is definitely a different cert number.
  • Options
    the inflated price with the BP makes it seem even more absurd.

i'll speculate that the one sold in August bears an almost unbeatable appearance with great centering and surface features.

the Mile High example looks like it could slice meat. should eclipse 30K.
  • Options

<< <i>the inflated price with the BP makes it seem even more absurd.

i'll speculate that the one sold in August bears an almost unbeatable appearance with great centering and surface features.

the Mile High example looks like it could slice meat. should eclipse 30K. >>

I think the memory lane sale was an anomaly. I think the mile high hornung will be lucky to sell for more than $10k. Hornung is not as popular as Unitas or Starr from the same set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.
    Mike
  • Options
    It definitely is a great looking card.

$10,454 heading into overtime in 48 minutes.

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Those Hornung 9's are very nice.

I kind of like my PSA 7 that I picked up for a tiny fraction of those two 9's.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a gorgeous 7, Rich. Any shot for a bump?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Andy, I think it could bump to 7.5, but not an 8. One corner has a slight issue. Three corners look like 8's though.
    I bought this at the '14 National in person. I was actually looking for an 8 of that card and just happened by
    a table and the card just stood out. So for now, I'm happy to own a sharp 7. I'll move into a sharp 8 down the road.
    PSA 9's are now out of my league.

These are just pictures of men.
  • Options
    Finished at $23,962.23

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Rich - that is an incredible 7. This card could be the poster child for buy the card not the holder, and the eye appeal is that of an 8.5 or a 9 without the price.
  • Options

<< <i>Finished at $23,962.23 >>

hmmmm. add BP and it almost makes it to 30K.

no way the card soars that high without the other PSA 9 bomb which preceded it. smart seller took the mad money. good on 'em.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Finished at $23,962.23 >>

hmmmm. add BP and it almost makes it to 30K.

no way the card soars that high without the other PSA 9 bomb which preceded it. smart seller took the mad money. good on 'em. >>

Current Bidding
    Minimum Bid: $2,500
    Final Bid(Includes Buyers Premium): $23,962.23
    Number of Bids: 21
  • Options
    corrected! image
  • Options
    Nice to see the 80's football PSA 10s stay strong as well. With BP Payton 76 Topps PSA 10 closed at $13k and Montana 81 Topps PSA 10 closed at $15k....I had bids in that I thought had a chance early but got out bid
  • Options
    PSA 9 Berry

PSA 9 Lane

I just was looking through some completed sales on EBAY and saw the first auction. This might be the largest price jump by two bids I have ever seen. It reminded me of seeing another card from the set go for big money recently so I pulled it up. It turns out it is the same two bidders. WOW they are going hard after cards from this set!

• Options
    These 57 PSA 9's have seen some crazy prices.
    Next Unitas or Starr that goes to auction should go really high.