Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Title fixed: Here's "proof" that the highest graded isn't always the best ... or ... Shoul

Here is a PR67 DCAM on eBay ...

And here is my 65 DCAM ... explain how this makes sense ...

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yours absolutely looks very nice, but it's not possible to determine the grade from this picture when the fields are so deeply "black" from the mirror and cameo effect.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Of course. That is fair and I agree. However, you can tell that mine does not have any 'rust' toning around the rim (as the 67 does), nor the patch of white harsh scratches shown between 5 and 6 o'clock (on the 67).

There are some marks in the fields of mine but none that severe. I don't have a non-dark mirror field shown image or else I'd have posted it. This was slabbed before SecurePlus imaging and I didn't slab it so I didn't have the option of truview.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    It took me a minute to figure out what this was since Niger uses the CFA franc (per Krause circulating coins volume). I also thought that NCLT and similar stuff was better left/more valuable when in original holders with all the COA, etc until I saw what appears to be the holder on ebay: link Aesthetics aside, this seems to be another 1960s official holder which used what appears to be non-archival cardboard and soft plastic, neither of which is good for the coin and probably explains the surface of several of the coins currently on offer. Certainly consistent with the toning on the PR67 piece sold on ebay (which is attractive) altho I'm a little surprised at the lofty grade given what appears to be finger prints at the bottom (which I don't like).

Interesting...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure the original packaging contributed to the toning of the 67 example. Especially since the toning is around the rim, creeping inwards. This is often indicative of album/holder toning.

I don't believe the graders take packaging or circulation status into account when grading. Eye appeal, however, is a factor. I don't find the 67 attractive in the least. That's just my $0.02

Edited to add: As stated previously, I didn't slab it I bought it already slabbed. I think when you buy any NCLT pre-slabbed, you should be exempt from answering the "why in the ___ would anyone slab this?" comments image But if you are curious, my reply would be "it's much better preserved in this slab than the Mint's cheap packaging."
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This type of coin should definitely be slabbed. I can only dread a fingerprint or some other element getting to these surfaces.