Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Service Level Submission Question

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
Their offices are closed, so if anyone can answer some submission questions, I'd appreciate the help.

1) If a coin exceeds their maximum value for the Service Level, is your only option to choose a higher Service Level? If so, do you get a faster turnaround? Does this mean that different Service Levels must be on separate submissions?

2) What difference does it make when you place a nominal value on each coin? If you don't know what grade PCGS will assign, how do you figure a value for submission purposes?

Thanks!!
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I will answer your 1st question... but first: yes those lazy bum image graders were given today off. How insolent that they be allowed to spend time with their families. They should only be allowed time off after they have graded mine and yours!

You can declare a value below it's real value, so long as you don't make a habit of doing so. (This from HRH himself who related a story about one particular submitter who habitually undervalued his forms to get cheaper grading. So one day HRH called him up and told the submitter his double eagles had all been lost, but not to worry he would be compensated for the loss per the submission forms declared values. Of course the "loss" was not true, but this story IS!)

Yes separate service levels MUST be on separate submissions.

Question 2 has been asked a thousand times. You just use your best guess.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will answer your 1st question... but first: yes those lazy bum image graders were given today off. How insolent that they be allowed to spend time with their families. They should only be allowed time off after they have graded mine and yours!

You can declare a value below it's real value, so long as you don't make a habit of doing so. (This from HRH himself who related a story about one particular submitter who habitually undervalued his forms to get cheaper grading. So one day HRH called him up and told the submitter his double eagles had all been lost, but not to worry he would be compensated for the loss per the submission forms declared values. Of course the "loss" was not true, but this story IS!)

Yes separate service levels MUST be on separate submissions.

Question 2 has been asked a thousand times. You just use your best guess. >>

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting point for Q2 is that I've been told by CS that the only way to get a higher level of return mail service is to over declare the values
    (Or pay using your own shipping account)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. I've been putting this off for a long time, so I'll be easy with any comments on the grading staff.image

It would thrill me to the bone if my purchase prices were the actual values of the coins. I think I may have overpaid to get the coins that I liked. Welcome to coin collecting!!!image

Hey, I have another question..............if I'm doing an online submission, is there any way to "save" the data if I don't get it done all at once?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, I have another question..............if I'm doing an online submission, is there any way to "save" the data if I don't get it done all at once?image >>

I don't think so. Are you submitting some of those dimes from yer roll hoard?
  • Options
    Are you submitting some of those dimes from yer roll hoard?

No, I threw in the towel and sold most of the nicer toners to Dennis King. I've screened out some blast white candidates for higher grades, but I need to do more work before I take that step.

This submission is going to be my Large Cent collection of 28 years.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Hey, I have another question..............if I'm doing an online submission, is there any way to "save" the data if I don't get it done all at once?image >>

Yes. Leave that tab in your browser open and don't shut off your computer.

Actually, ISTR that I have abandoned a submission and come back to find what I entered still there but that might have been a very short time later.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file