Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Antigonos III Doson tetradrachm

I thought this coin was lost for good. It's from Baldwin's auction held September 24th. It took them two weeks just to get it in the mail (grumble grumble) and it disappeared from tracking between the UK and US. The USPS said it didn't exist. Baldwin's was initially very unhelpful and dismissive but eventually they said they would initiate a trace and refund the entire cost if it was lost.

The trace was initiated on November 11 and I never heard anything further about it from Baldwin's. On a whim I tried the tracking number again in USPS and was happily shocked that it had popped up on 11/24. It was delivered two days ago.

KINGS of MACEDON. Antigonos III Doson, 229-221 BCE
struck 227-225 BCE, Amphipolis mint?
AR tetradrachm, 32 mm, 17.1 gm
Obv: wreathed head of Poseidon right
Rev: Apollo seated left on prow left, holding bow; monogram below.
Ref: Panagopoulou 50–3 var. (unlisted dies); EHC 436; Touratsoglou 52–3; SNG Saroglos 933; SNG Alpha Bank 1046; SNG Ashmolean 3266

I had plenty of time to work on a nice and comprehensive write-up... but I didn't do it. Taking the easy route, here's a brief blurb from CNG's archives:

<< <i>The title ‘Doson’ means “the man who will give” and it refers to Antigonos III’s function as regent for the young Philip V, the son of his cousin, Demetrius II. In fact, Antigonos III married Philip V’s mother and adopted the boy as his son, thus ensuring his ultimate place on the throne. Antigonos III was a very successful ruler, using diplomacy and military force to greatly expand Macedonia’s power and influence. Perhaps his most famous victory was that of Sellasia in 222 BC, where he defeated Cleomenes III of Sparta. The present coin is a fine example of Doson’s main coinage - the head of Poseidon and the prow on the reverse commemorate naval victories during a successful campaign in Caria in 228-227 BC. >>

Question though: Doson's predecessor was Demetrius (or Demetrios) II, king of Macedon. Why am I finding no coins for Demetrius II? He ruled for a decade between Antigonos II Gonatas and Antigonos III Doson.

Please feel free to post your Antigonos III Doson coins or any related coins image

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beauty, love the obverse portrait.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The title ‘Doson’ means “the man who will give” and it refers to Antigonos III’s function as regent for the young Philip V, the son of his cousin, Demetrius II. In fact, Antigonos III married Philip V’s mother and adopted the boy as his son, thus ensuring his ultimate place on the throne. ... >>

Question though: Doson's predecessor was Demetrius (or Demetrios) II, king of Macedon. ... >>

So ... Demetrius II was king of Macedon, and died? So his cousin, Antigonos III, married his wife and adopted his son Philip V, and became king?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    slender man spotted image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIF you sure know how to pick'em!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Glad it made its way out of the black hole in the middle of the Atlantic.

Customer service issues with Baldwins duly noted.

We mentioned Priapus in an earlier thread. I've always thought the "prow" on this type looked rather phallic. Wonder what Freud would make of that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hmm a phallic prow on Priapus coin ... good alliteration?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear about the Bermuda Triangle coin travel here, but I think it was worth the wait in the long term. That is a very nice coin with a very appealing portrait of Poseidon and the reverse design of Apollo on the prow is fascinating to me for some reason. Maybe its how they added the script into the middle of the ship design. Can't put a finger on it.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! I love this coin. The flan flaw (post mint damage?) on the reverse doesn't bother me much and allowed me to afford what would have otherwise been a very pricey coin.