Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help identifying a newp

It's not really a newp, since I got it a month ago and had already posted a picture of it. The problem is that I need more information about the coin: what the legends say, who is the portrait representing, what is the design on the non-portrait side and where is this coin from? My Krause catalogs don't go far back enough, so attribution help is appreciated.

The insert says (1554-56), 1/2 Ducato, Italy-Naples & Sicily. I'm guessing the portrait represents Charles V, HRE (aka Charles I of Aragon, Emperor of Spain), but I don't understand why 1554 is significant for this coin. (I know why 1556 is significant for this coin - Charles abdicated that year.) Also, the Kingdom of Naples & Sicily didn't form until early 19th Century. So, was this coin from Naples, or Sicily, or elsewhere?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the MS-62 from eBay a month or so ago?

I really wish I knew more about coins such as this, they are certainly rich in history.

There is some info in here:

http://www.coingallery.de/KarlV/Phil_II_E.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the coin states "PHILIP R ANG FRAN NEAP PR HIS"

I guess it's a coin if Philip, son of Charles V. The titles are significant because he is king of Naples, but only prince of Spain. He was made king of Naples in 1554 and would have been prince of Spain until 1556 when his father Charles V abdicated
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like the coin states "PHILIP R ANG FRAN NEAP PR HIS" ... >>

This is how I read it:

PHILIP Rex (king) ANG (of England,) FRAN (France,) NEAP (and Naples,) PRince of HISpania (Spain)

Edit: BBB code turned my semicolon into a smiley image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse picture is his coat-of-arms. Rotate the picture 90 degrees clockwise to make it "right way up". On the left side is the complex coat of arms of Aragonese Naples, on the right side of the arms are the fleur-de-lys and lions of the coat of arms of England. The "England" claim is on account of his marriage in 1554 to Queen Mary I of England. The claim to "king of France" came with the English title, the ambit claim perpetuated by the English monarchs until the French revolution.

Although both Naples and Sicily were ruled by Spain at this time, different members of the royal family controlled them. Sicily was under the control of the King of Spain, while Naples was ruled by his son and heir-apparent. Philip II did not become king of both Naples and Sicily until after his father's death.

The reverse legend, "POPVLOR SECVRITATI" (security of the people), has been somewhat scrambled, owing to the double-striking. These coins were made on some kind of rocker press I believe, making multiple strikes and doubling common.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I thought they dropped a big weight on the die, like shown here:

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the free education. I love this place. And, looks like I need to fix the picture (rotate the reverse) when I get a chance.

Btw, yes, this is the 62 from Greg's auction a month ago. It's a heck of a lot nicer than its assigned grade. He bought it raw for his collection, thinking it should slab 63. This coin has nice colors and really flashy lustrous surfaces that are messed up by the funky planchet and poor strike.

I showed it to a dealer at Baltimore and he said that I should resubmit it. Not sure I will do that, since I like it for what it is: a lovely coin despite its poor workmanship. For the next show (NYINC, CICF or Baltimore), anyone who wants to meet me, say hi, and to see this coin can PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Note: this coin is not available for sale or trade.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com