Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

For Those Who Prefer Silver, Early Roman Denarii

Here is a selection of Denarii from my collection that I thought I would share. I am more of a "bronze guy" myself, but I have to admit these are cool too.

From the top left they are:

Republic 132 BC
Republic 110-109 BC
Republic 90 BC
Augustus
Tiberius
Otho
Vitellius
Vespasian
Titus
Domitian
Domitian

-PLEASE POST YOURS-
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff. Mine can be found in my sig link, too many to post.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great stuff. Mine can be found in my sig link, too many to post. >>

I was looking at your collection a little earlier today, nice stuff. I like your Nero Denarius alot!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great stuff. Mine can be found in my sig link, too many to post. >>

I was looking at your collection a little earlier today, nice stuff. I like your Nero Denarius alot! >>

Thanks, my favorite of the 12 caesars is actually the claudius, tiberius & the hefty Galba.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

This is the ancients thread for which I have been waiting years! image

I love my silver coins. That second to last Domitian is my favorite. Yes I like them shiny! image

And yes, STLNATS, to answer your question in the bronze thread, I would TOTALLY work a day in the field for that Domitian image

Great posts thanks for sharing. When I get home from turkey weekend, I will dig up my two Roman ancients and see if either is a denarii ... IIRC, neither is one ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice group of denarii, well on your way to a very respectable 12 caesars set! BTW I always like coins with the "16 as" value mark on the first republican piece you show.

<< <i>
    And yes, STLNATS, to answer your question in the bronze thread, I would TOTALLY work a day in the field for that Domitian image
    >>

I'd work for 2 1894 s barber dimes, but that wasn't the original point which was only that metal was relatively more highly valued in the ancient world. (would you work in the fields for a day for the silver in a denarius equal to ~ 2 US silver dimes?)

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Aethelred, that is a nice grouping. I have only two silver denarii of the Republic, and I am sad that I do not have more. I really enjoy your Vitellius. I like the portrait on yours more than any other I have seen.

This is a L. Rubius Dossenius that I got on the cheap. Again, sorry for large/blurry images. Still, not bad for $20-ish.

This is an anonymous issue that got me interested in the quadriga design. A little more expensive, but from lucernae in Spain, so I was comfortable buying it from a good dealer that has always sent me nice things in exchange for $.

I would like more, but usually these Republican denarii cost in the $50-100 range depending upon rarity and I hardly ever splurge that much. I am looking to add another soon as it has been about 9 months since I added the last of these.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins! Your bottom right Domitian is absolutely wonderful, Aethelred!

Here are my denarii:

Julius Caesar

Brutus "Eid Mar"

Cassius, Brutus' Co-Conspirator

Sextus Pompey

Augustus, Caesar's Comet

Otho

Circus Maximus

Trajan's Column (writeup pending)
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Nice coins, Aethelred! I particularly like the Domitian. He has many very artistic denarii. Can you post the reverses?

Here are my denarii-- a composite shot from my Roman overview pages. A few of them look clipped but that's an artifact from my screen captures. Boy, that Rustius Mars/Ram sure needs to be upgraded.