Home U.S. Coin Forum

1838-O half dollar

Doing research on the 1838-O half dollar
Curious if anyone on the forum has a specimen, or owned a specimen, and would like to write about it.

Thanks
Kevin
kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com
Kevin J Flynn

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream coin for me.

Given the right 6 lotto numbers and I'll let you write about it.

Sorry, I can help no further than that.
  • TDN had one, give him a pm
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Heritage printed a nice small pamphlet/book about these a few years ago and sent me a copy. It would be worth looking at.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I actually owned two coins at the same time in 1975, both purchased out of Stack's Auctions. It was exciting, but it was not easy to market them, at the time.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had three of them. (And like Julian, I had two at the same time!) Details are in the Heritage book, and elsewhere. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heritage printed a nice small pamphlet/book about these a few years ago and sent me a copy. It would be worth looking at.

-Paul >>

Paul,

As I have great respect for Mark and David, I have been in communication with both of them.
    I have read their book.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>I've had three of them. (And like Julian, I had two at the same time!) Details are in the Heritage book, and elsewhere. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help. >>

I went down and extensively photographed the SI coin, OMG, it was like holding a piece of history, was a coin high so to speak.

Was looking for perspective of people who owned for the book to be printed in the book under your name

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
    Does anyone have a 1839-O half dollar that was called a proof?

Thanks
    Kevin
    kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com
    Kevin J Flynn
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Queller (Stacks Oct 2002)/Robison (Stacks Feb 1982) coin was graded NGC Proof 65. Though based on the prices realized at auction in 1982 and 2002 not everyone seemed convinced ($13K in 1982 as I recall). Spent a lot of time viewing that coin in 2002 and it sure looked proof/specimen to me. Totally unlike any other 1839-0 I'd seen. Wonderful looking coin. Should be a ton of info available on this one. Ironically, I spent $5K at the 1982 Robison on another coin. The proof 39-0 was outside my price range but would have been a wonderful buy at the time.

Heritage article on proof 39-0 halves
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Uhrich just announced via the JR Newsletter that he has one for sale and it can be viewed on his website or in person at the FUN Show (table 712)

http://jr-newsletter.blogspot.com/2014/12/jr-newsletter-21-december-2014-220.html

<< <i>Rich Uhrich just announced via the JR Newsletter that he has one for sale and it can be viewed on his website or in person at the FUN Show (table 712)
    http://jr-newsletter.blogspot.com/2014/12/jr-newsletter-21-december-2014-220.html >>

Thanks, Rich was kind enough to send me a photo to use for the book.
    JD will be examining the coin at FUN

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>The Queller (Stacks Oct 2002)/Robison (Stacks Feb 1982) coin was graded NGC Proof 65. Though based on the prices realized at auction in 1982 and 2002 not everyone seemed convinced ($13K in 1982 as I recall). Spent a lot of time viewing that coin in 2002 and it sure looked proof/specimen to me. Totally unlike any other 1839-0 I'd seen. Wonderful looking coin. Should be a ton of info available on this one. Ironically, I spent $5K at the 1982 Robison on another coin. The proof 39-0 was outside my price range but would have been a wonderful buy at the time.
    Heritage article on proof 39-0 halves >>

Thanks, several 39Os were sold by Heritage, studied them, plus Dick Graham provided me invaluable information on the 39Os, which was a game changer for the 38O.

The 39Os that are called proofs have weaker striking characteristics that the 38O.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file