Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice on cutting box bottoms (with pictures).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm started to cut box bottoms and am looking for advice. I plan to have these graded by PSA so it's important to have the whole card, but it looks like in order to get the whole border I'm going to have to sacrifice 3 of the 4 cards. Is there a way to save the other three for grading? The borders are so thin. I'm using a commercial paper cutter that I have at home. I've been practicing with damaged boxes that I don't plan to submit.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I plan to have these graded by PSA so it's important to have the whole card, but it looks like in order to get the whole border I'm going to have to sacrifice 3 of the 4 cards. >>

No, you don't.

<< <i>Is there a way to save the other three for grading? >>

Yes, there is. But given the rudimentary cuts you've exhibited on the initial attempts, it looks like you're in over your head.

Others on these boards have been able to manage through it and do quite well. My word of advice to you is STOP before you ruin everything. Spend a little time researching box-bottoms on the boards and see what advice others offer. You've been around long enough to know how to do that.
  • Options
    I use a razor knife and a metal ruler with a cork backing flipped with the cork facing me. Do you need to keep that black line as part of the border? If not I think you can use a knife instead of the industrial cutter and get good results.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    an exacto, a straight edge, steady hands and good hand eye coordination. Those are ingredients.
    It never leaves you...