Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I thought PCGS didn't holder PVC gunk?

This was taken directly from PCGS.com FAQ page:

<< <i>What does PVC residue do to a coin and how can I avoid it?
PVC (or Poly-Vinyl Chloride) is a chemical used to soften plastic so it can be formed into a variety of vinyl coin holders. ... leaving a greenish film or residue that will eventually etch the surface of your coin ... PCGS will not place coins with PVC residue in a PCGS holder. >>

So can anyone explain why this coin holdered? Is this not PVC gunk? It doesn't have a grade, but it's in a holder. Maybe semantics but I'm curious what are your thoughts.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I don't think it's PVC, it looks like environmental damage, it should've been no-graded but holdered if the enviro effects are inactive within the holder.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts, Walter. I always figured green = PVC but I guess that is not always the case.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else to consider is that coins may "ripen" while in the holder. If the OP coin was holdered as imaged, then it was an obvious mistake as there is no way it would have been graded ... even if Ray Charles was the finalizer ... and he's blind ... and dead.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The coin was holdered as imaged (this is the secure plus image taken while grading). As mentioned previously, no grade just the holder. It came from a mint set of which all coins were slabbed. Most graded, a couple (like this one) just holdered. None of the graded ones have "ripened" to show this kind of damage or any for that matter.

Apparently Ray Charles was unavailable, so they called his understudy - Blind Lemon Jefferson! image (BTW, I can say that because I'm a musician!)

And speaking of mint sets, I am reminded of the time I personally submitted an entire Jamaica mint set and all the coins came back PL except the largest piece (I don't remember the denomination, just the coin) ... in a body bag for "cleaned." How this could be, is beyond my understanding, since I have never cleaned a coin in my life (evidence shown above) and I cracked them out of the sealed mint packaging myself. But if I learned anything from reading the Greek tragedies, it's that arguing with the gods is a waste of time!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Own any of the Blind Lemon Jefferson Paramount recordings?

As for Ray Charles, trying to find What I'd Say on a 78 RPM record is very, very tough. The last Atlantic label 78s I believe are from 1959... the year What I'd Say was released.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin was holdered as imaged (this is the secure plus image taken while grading). As mentioned previously, no grade just the holder. It came from a mint set of which all coins were slabbed. Most graded, a couple (like this one) just holdered. None of the graded ones have "ripened" to show this kind of damage or any for that matter. >>

I'm not sure what the comments about the disabled are all about, but i guess it just demonstrates that anything can be slabbed, just not graded. I'm not sure what the specific PCGS guidelines are for "environmentally" damaged coins and how they might have changed over time. At any rate, a soft plastic envelope, which doubtless contained PVC, was used on many/most early Israeli sets and a common result is well illustrated by this coin. Unless clearned/mitigated, the other coins are likely to also have some PVC residue on their surface as well but from the comments not all of the coins reacted (different metals perhaps might explain part of this). Several of the early (silver) commem issues were also contained in holders with PVC explaining the "cloudy" appearance of many.

edited to update my comment: I don't really deal with slabs but was curious about what the rules actually are. One likely explanation would seem to be that this was in the no grade category (being an obvious "problem" coin) and the submitter did not specify "do not holder." Just quickly glancing thru the FAQ on their site I found that:

What is a “No Grade?”
    PCGS experts may encounter coins which, for one reason or another, cannot be assigned a numerical grade. These “No Grade” coins fall into three categories: (1) problem coins, (2) inconclusive, or (3) ineligible “No Grades.” In the first category, coins will be placed in a PCGS Genuine holder (except where noted). Coins in categories two and three will be returned un-encapsulated. Go to PCGS Grading Standards for further details.

and

Must I select one of the Genuine service levels?
    Yes. PCGS currently offers the three options under the Genuine service. If you prefer not to have coins deemed genuine encapsulated, ensure you mark the “Do Not Holder Genuine” box on the submission form.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!