Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Most Serene Republic of Genoa

Genoa was an independent state from 1005 until 1797 when it was occupied by the French under Napoleon Bonaparte.

The Republic originated as a self-governing commune within the Regnum Italicum, and for the next eight centuries played a significant role in Mediterranean politics. In the 17th Century, Genoa got involved in the Eighty Years' War (1568-1648) on the side of Spain against the Dutch independence struggle. Unfortunately, the bankruptcy of Spain also brought about the financial decline of Genoa (because Genoese bankers were heavy creditors of the Spanish Habsburgs). In 1656-57, the plague killed approximately half the inhabitants of Genoa. Then in 1684, the French navy fired some 13,000 cannonballs at the city as punishment for Genoese support of Spain.

I present to this audience two handsome coins from this period.

The first coin is a 2 Scudi, 1656-IAB (Dav-LS553), that I showed not too long ago. It was a subject of much commentary (it's ok to view it again - I think the plague germs have long since died!).

Cross side: ornate cross with cherub heads and wings in angles. Figure side: madonna and child on cloud, two cherubs above.

The second coin I have also posted before, last year. It's a 1674-ILM Scudo that is very lightly toned with very flashy surfaces on, sadly, a substandard planchet. In terms of appearance, the second, slabbed, piece is very different than the 2 Scudi: gorgeous original circ versus a lustrous, but not handsomely patinated, MS piece.

Cross side: cross with four stars in angles. Figure side: madonna and child on cloud.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Not a proof, sorry
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a proof, sorry >>

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins, i love the busy design on the first one.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>Awesome coins, i love the busy design on the first one. >>

Thanks. It hasn't escaped me that many of these coins are variations on a common theme. One of the nice things about being a type collector is the variety. Collecting British and Austrian is largely boring to the uninitiated. Italian States is a little better if only because of the many territories and the long rich history.

EVP

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collecting British and Austrian is largely boring to the uninitiated. Italian States >>

I would disclaim it as being an EVP opinion, not collective wisdom. I can show you some Austrian that will make you drool. Personally, I can see Italian coins appealing in their religious themes, yet less so in the crude/weak strikes and planchet flaws.

<< <i>

<< <i>Collecting British and Austrian is largely boring to the uninitiated. Italian States >>

I would disclaim it as being an EVP opinion, not collective wisdom. I can show you some Austrian that will make you drool. Personally, I can see Italian coins appealing in their religious themes, yet less so in the crude/weak strikes and planchet flaws. >>

boring
    [bawr-ing, bohr-] Spell Syllables
    adjective
    1. causing or marked by boredom :
    "a boring discussion; to have a boring time, as in collecting British or Austrian coins."

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Boring is a dangerous word, since I'm sure we are all owners of at least one coin/medal/jeton which another member would call "boring." However, since my all-time favorite coin is British, I must agree with Zohar image

PS: proof strikes are awesome!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Btw, I collect British (but mostly Anglo-Saxon) coins and *had collected* Austrian Imperial coins too. I never shy away from a good coin, however boring I may narrowmindedly consider the series as a whole.

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice, EVP. Now Nurse Rached is going to give me my "not collect Italian states coins" medication and I will be awake again in a few hours.

I agree that the first coin is more appealing than the second coin with more mint luster.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2nd example rocks period - I'd keep that over the first in a heartbeat - and personally, I like that cracked planchet image