Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 S VDB- the mint had its chance

O
In 2009, San Francisco should have minted 485,000 2009 -S VDB Lincoln Cents. Can you imagine how rare they would have been in modern circulation, everybody throughout the country would be looking for them. Coin stores would still be busy with people coming in. This would have been an amazing boost to the entire hobby. Why didn't they do this, I know this thread has been discussed but it really frustrates me that they had such an opportunity to have the 100 year anniversary of the 1909-s VDB Lincoln cent.

Comments

• Options
    It would have been very cool if they randomly mixed business strike 2009-S VDB cents into bags of normal 2009-D and 2009-P cents. Make it a true treasure hunt. Some would stay Gem BU and some would circulate, producing an actual grade spread.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relax, the opportunity will come around again in 2109.

You just need to have patience! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix this problem and I'm on board:

Dealers, flippers, and speculators pay armored car services to get local supply and they go on ebay at a markup.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    If they did it right, they mix them really well and not have one large bag ending up in the wrong hands. I mean really mixing them, would have been a modern day Willy Wonka
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixing is not bad....

I suppose it could. Yes, I'm sure it could. I'm pretty sure it could. Might it have some messy results?

Besides mixing adding marks? People buying bricks and returning the plain coins? Any more input?

Any ideas how this could work to distribute them to the masses?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Why stop there. How about a 2015 DDO like the 1955? Just make about 10,000 and sell them for $1000 each. Or mint 10,000 2015 steel cents and sell for $1000. The mint could make a killing.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file