Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is a Beckett raw card review?

I've been seeing a lot of these lately. What are they? I see they have a grade on them but do not appear to be in a holder.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a service they offer at events. Customers submit their cards on site. The card gets graded, inserted in a cardsaver and sealed. You then have to sub the card to BGS to have it slabbed.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    They review your card, and your backside is raw afterwards.

Hope this helps!
  • Options

<< <i>It's a service they offer at events. Customers submit their cards on site. The card gets graded, inserted in a cardsaver and sealed. You then have to sub the card to BGS to have it slabbed. >>

Thanks

So the grade on there is gaurenteed if you send it in to have it slabbed?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's a service they offer at events. Customers submit their cards on site. The card gets graded, inserted in a cardsaver and sealed. You then have to sub the card to BGS to have it slabbed. >>

Thanks

So the grade on there is gaurenteed if you send it in to have it slabbed? >>

I'm not sure if it's 100% guaranteed. However, I will say the few I have sent in came back with the grades previously assigned.
  • Options
    The grade is not guaranteed. The service is a waste of money.
  • Options

<< <i>The grade is not guaranteed. The service is a waste of money. >>

I agree. I was surprised I was charged full grading price when I had the cards slabbed.
  • Options
    Yes, the janitor previews your card for $5, then you pay again for whatever tier you want and it's looked over again by a monkey.
    Brilliant concept and extra dough for them.
  • Options
    Years ago, there was a board member on here who got taken with the RCR and I don't remember his name.
    There were two RCR that were both 9.5 and I believe one of the cards was a 94 SP Alex Rodriguez, and the other may have been a Montana RC.
    Supposedly, he also met the guy in person at some parking lot and a trade was made. I forget what was in involved, but if anyone remembers, maybe
    they can fill in the rest. Long story short, the two review cards were sent to Beckett for grading to be in a slab. He gets a call from BGS saying that the cards
    have been altered/tampered. The sides of the Card Saver 1s had been slit opened and the cards were replaced with inferior copies. I've had CS1 split on me,
    so I can see it happening. I don't know what the outcome was, but for several months back then, BGS had a lot of these types of cards and they also stated in on their website
    to be careful when purchasing raw card reviews. Someone was running a scam with raw card reviews and apparently very good at it.
  • Options
    Awesome, I have 14 posts in 9 years.
    Hi Matt!
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, the janitor previews your card for $5, then you pay again for whatever tier you want and it's looked over again by a monkey.
    Brilliant concept and extra dough for them. >>

• Options
    Nevermind
  • Options
    If you leave the booth with it, the grade is no longer guaranteed. Which makes sense. It is just in a card saver with a seal on top, so damage can happen to it.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I went to a show and saw a guy who had probably 1000 of these. Im sure he got a helluva deal. I dont know if it has helped with his sales or not.