Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Thanks!

Just a note before we all get tied up with either work (my case) or family (your case, hopefully) for the long Thanksgiving weekend.

I joined a coin club when I was about 9-10 years old and it was the highlight of my month every month to have my grandfather come and pick me up to drive me 30 minutes away for the meeting. He wasn't really a collector but he really made an effort to be involved with each of his grandkids in the things they enjoyed the most. Being a kid, it felt like that month took forever to pass and the meeting flew by as if two hours were 2 minutes.

I lost both of my grandparents in the last four months and I realized today that even though I will miss them, I know it was their time to go. They told me, frankly.

The happier thought is that now instead of having to wait a whole month to talk coins, or ask questions, or have a laugh with people I like talking to, I get to do so any day at any time here. I have learned a tremendous amount of things about a tremendous variety of topics from you all in the last 10 years or so. I have made some good friends along the way here and many good acquaintances as well that I think will go the good friend path in time.

Thanks for being the highlight of a grave shift worker's day every day ladies and fellas. I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving and holidays after. I already am.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a coin club I would goto when I was a kid but the coin shop folded and the club seemed to have stopped too. Not too many years after that I took my break from coins due to jr.high and high school. I got back into coins in 2008 and havent stopped. I credit the various coin forums I post at and exposing me too coins I wouldnt have otherwise seen before.

There is some clubs in l.a. but they are all a hefty driving distance from me & I detest driving here at great length unless I need too.
  • Thank you, Nicholas, for a heartwarming post!

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you too Nicholas, this place is very special indeed. For me at least, because of many members I got to meet in person over the years even though I live several thousands of miles and an ocean away, more members that I have only met online but that I'm sure that the day will come to meet them too (including you) , for the wealth of accumulated knowledge and for this forum's ethics. That's without mentioning the countless transactions with so many of you, and the continuous help and support by ajaan without whom, my life would have been much more complicated.

Happy thanksgivings everyone, the most American of the entire year's holidays.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick and all - have a wonderful Thanksgiving. It is has always been pleasant communicating and learning from everyone here and we should all be thankful for this place of mental refuge from our daily routine.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Mat, Tif, Syracusian and Z, thanks for joining in. You are all people whom I like and respect. Z said it best when he used the word refuge. So much of adulthood is about what one has to do and this hobby is so much about what one enjoys doing.

The friendship, learning, having people to talk to and trade with and dealer/collectors like Andy and Josh who you can trust make this a great place to grow and have fun too.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the Darkside!

Amongst the many things i am thankful for this year are my friends and fellow collectors on CU.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Very nice sentiments all. Enjoy this weekend of refuge from work. And in my case, this forum of refuge from some crazy relatives image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow this is deep if you think about it. So true.

"So much of adulthood is about what one has to do and this hobby is so much about what one enjoys doing."
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the beautiful post! This forum is indeed a home away from home (I'll certainly be checking in if this evening's family events take a turn for the worse image ). It's great to have an enthusiastic group of people with which our diverse and oddball interests can align and be shared.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm already at my brother's house with a bunch of relatives, and my first thought (after pouring the bubbly for my family) is to check in on this thread and this forum. Lacking an opportunity to say this more eloquently: Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the fellowship.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice sentimental post and a great Thanksgiving to all

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice sentimental post and a great Thanksgiving to all

agreed - well written and touching!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post.
    I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    As for me, I'm so thankful I have to grandkids to talk coin w ith this holiday.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here be safe and have fun every one.

Hoard the keys.

What a joyous thread, hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=