Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone here own a 1956 Mantle in PSA 8.5

I have been looking for high end 1956 Mantles and have not seen any 8.5's out there except for one Natex Investments had in Cleveland at the National. Just curious if any are floating around out there in the market or in collections.

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I just missed out on a raw one several years ago that ended up in an 8.5 holder. I did win a '56 Killebrew from the same seller that got an 8.5. Had I known the cards were as nice as the seller claimed, I would have bid more aggressively. He also had a raw NM-MT '52 Snider for sale at the same time. I still lament those losses but happy I at least got the Killebrew.

Good luck with your search. There aren't too many 8.5s of that card.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"Good luck with your search. There aren't too many 8.5s of that card."
    -----
    According to the pop report, there are 24 graded at 8.5.

Depending on whether any of those have since been cracked
    out, that's how many should be out there somewhere.

Your odds are slightly better at finding a 9. There have been
    32 of those graded.

John

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys and I checked the pop and saw there are about the same number of 8.5's and 9's. According to VCP the 9's are trending in the 13k range and 8.5's a few k above a high end 8. The last few high end 8's have gone for $4800 and $5200, and trying to find 1-2 centered high end 8's or 8.5's to put back. There is a nice 7 on Ebay that Bruce has had since the National that is for sale at $2195 and has not sold for a while - not sure why since the eye appeal is very good and in looking at it appears it should be in a higher grade - must be something I am not seeing on the card.

If anyone has any photos or scans of high end 8's of this card please post them here - been trying to find a nice one with very little luck. Thank you and hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
  • There is a board member on here that has one. I know its one of two ppl but I am not sure which one it is. I am sure he will post his if and when he see's this thread. Its a beauty too.
  • I know there was an 8.5 on eBay for awhile but stopped showing up in searches a while ago.

Here is my baby...
    That red line in upper right is not in card its in the scan - need to find the original scan. I think the centering is as good as the 8 that Probstein just sold.
    Nice looking card and thanks for sharing. Both are nice cards as well as the one that PWCC sold about a month ago. Probstein's top bottom is a little more centered than the 8.5, but you probably got a better price on yours in an 8.5 versus the price on the 8. I only saw one at the National for slaw and very few on Ebay lately. Thank you for sharing.
  • A nice gray back 8.5 on PWCC auction right now
  • Maybe the Mick shoulda played basketball with those kinda jumping skills!!!

<< <i>A nice gray back 8.5 on PWCC auction right now >>

I noticed that one on there and with VCP and their features I have alerts on this card should it come up. Hoping to get one soon image

What does everyone think this one will end up stopping at when it is done - throw VCP out the window!

* forgot to add thank you very much for the heads up on the card - very much appreciated that you would remember this for back in November.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A nice gray back 8.5 on PWCC auction right now >>

I noticed that one on there and with VCP and their features I have alerts on this card should it come up. Hoping to get one soon image

What does everyone think this one will end up stopping at when it is done - throw VCP out the window!

* forgot to add thank you very much for the heads up on the card - very much appreciated that you would remember this for back in November. >>

Not sure what VCP average is, but I was thinking $9K yesterday. But seeing it go up $2,800 since I put it in my watch list....not so sure about that number anymore :-)
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd so prefer a perfectly centered 8 to the 8.5, considering the higher price point for the 8.5. A half-grade higher selling for that much more than the next grade below always drives me to the next grade below. The card is not twice as nice, so why pay twice the price?

Plus, the 1956 Mantle is a card that forgives wear very easily, to the eye. A collector can find 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s that hit the eye very strongly in hand or in a display. More and more I am finding that blown up scans can completely misrepresent how a card looks in hand.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

<< <i>I'd so prefer a perfectly centered 8 to the 8.5, considering the higher price point for the 8.5. A half-grade higher selling for that much more than the next grade below always drives me to the next grade below. The card is not twice as nice, so why pay twice the price?

Plus, the 1956 Mantle is a card that forgives wear very easily, to the eye. A collector can find 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s that hit the eye very strongly in hand or in a display. More and more I am finding that blown up scans can completely misrepresent how a card looks in hand. >>

Matt - very good points and as always the notion of buy the card and not the holder applies. I have a few 56's of Williams and Clemente in grades lower than what I normally collect (PSA 8 or higher), and those 6's have the eye appeal of an 8 - just not the corners. I think you have posted several times some great examples of cards in a lower grade like your 52 Mantle, and that 4.5 looks so much better than the 5 and 6 you posted for comparisons sake. On a 1956 Mantle a strong 8 fetches $5-6k "if" it is well centered, and the 8.5 by PSA definition has to be stronger or better than the centering tolerances of a grade lower - means it "should" be a well centered example. Will be interesting to see what it ends up selling for.